Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

thought I had it fixed(cooling related)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 88xt6joe

88xt6joe

DA WEDGE

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Boise

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:30 PM

I thought I had my problem fixed(88 gl wagon with 1.8 fi). I put in a new thermostat(it has a jiggle plug and I boiled it to check for it opening), a new radiator cap, and tighten the belt. I even went on an incline and got the air out of the system(I thought). When it idles it can sit there all day and not get hot. Start going down the road and it starts to warm up quickly sometimes it will go back down and some time it doesn't. My wife was driving it to work tonight and it hit the red(at least she pulled over and sat there for it to cool down before going again). She said when she finally got to work and shut it off she said she heard a clunk noise inside the car(have no idea what that is). I guess all thats left is the radiator or water pump. Do you think its one of those. I see that the car has two fans even if the electric fan is not working in this 15 to 20 degree wether it should be ok right.
Any ideas would be great.

Thanks, Joe

#2 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:41 PM

try the radiator

#3 88xt6joe

88xt6joe

DA WEDGE

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Boise

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:04 PM

The worst part is I only paid $150.00 dollars for the car and don't know if it is worth putting anymore money into it.

Joe

#4 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:24 PM

hows the body on it?

#5 88xt6joe

88xt6joe

DA WEDGE

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Boise

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:40 PM

I like the car but the body is pretty rusty!!! I just wish I had something else to drive right now my truck just gets to crappy of gas mileage.

Joe

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:49 PM

Yeah - gonna be hard to find a used radiator in your neck of the woods that isn't a rust ball - your choice is new, or get one of us west coasters to send you a used one - I might do it for say $20 over what it cost to get one + shipping, since they are pretty easy to pull, and I'm at the junk yards fairly frequently...

GD

#7 88xt6joe

88xt6joe

DA WEDGE

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Boise

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:22 PM

I would have to look into having one shipped. It must be the stock radiator in the thing and it has 181,000 miles on it.

Joe

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:35 PM

Shipping shouldn't be over $30 via UPS.

GD

#9 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:30 PM

I suggest putting in a new waterpump, not terribly expensive, and it sounds almost like the problem I had.
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users