Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clunk! Snap, clunk...clunk...

WJM

Ok, my GL-10, 4wd converted. When coasting, and I get back on the gas, the drivetrain loads up, and there is a very loud clunk/clanck from the drive tunnel, all the way to the back of the wagon. Its done this with two different driveshafts. My Racer RX did it too....until it was too loud for me to hear it. lol

Any sugestions to what it is? Repair manual says loose bolts. Thats not the case. What is excessive gear backlash? Thats the other thing it states.

Sounds like the center diff, my RX and turbo wagon both do it with Full Time 4wd, so do the '87 Full Timer I sold Donny. I thought it was the rear diff in the RX and swapped it, made no difference. It's important those trans have matched tires or there is excessive wear on the center diff.

JWX: My GL-10 has a 3.70...with a 3.90 diff. The XT6 trans that was supposed to go in it, was 3.90...I didnt know the XT4 turbo FT4WD trans were 3.70....and Ive never gotten time to change diff.

XSNRG: Ive got matched tires. Just need to switch that diff.

Turbone: 2 peice? Huh? The driveshaft is a 2 piece.

If I read that right, your running different ratios in your front and rear diffs, if so, you may have destroyed your center differential. This would be silimlar to running a 13" tire on one side and 14" on the other, the differential would be working constantly. The same is true of the center diff when front and rear ratios are different. You could get away with this if it was a selective 4wd by never engaging the four wheel drive but with a Full Time trans it fatal.

I hope I read that wrong but if I'm way off base, feelfree to flame away!

ummmmmm........i guess I will be changing my rear diff asap. BUT...the rear diff its self has a TON of play...while the play from the center seems to be nill....hmmm..

Oh, and different tires seem to be the thing for EJ trans, with thier clutch packs and Viscus center diffs. Remember, outs are open in the center. BUt i get what you are saying.

"Junky" makes some funny noises and is hard to get into and out of 4wd high on pavement.. i put my wagon tires on it when i got it.. they are pretty much the same.. size, etc.. but the rears are worn about half ways and the fronts are almost new..

only thing i can figure is that little 1/4" of tread size difference is whats causing the noises and shifting issues..

it'll get some new shoes when i get the wagon wheels painted..