Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys....well i finally need to replace the tachometer head on my 96 legacy....i believe i read a thread a while ago about how this was done but i forget...my question is is this job pretty straight forward? do i need any special tools or anything?....i will hopefully be picking up a used tach. head from the JY and just wondering what all the tools i need to do it are.....the tach still reads but you can. def. tell it has the wrong RPM's....thanks for your time and knowledge.....also what other years will work....95?97? Just to specify this is just the head not the whole instrument cluster...

thanks frag..i managed to find the thread i needed.should have done that first...duh...lol...i do still have two unanswered questions....does it matter if i get the tach out of a manual or auto car? what year legacies will work? thanks again...

thanks frag..i managed to find the thread i needed.should have done that first...duh...lol...i do still have two unanswered questions....does it matter if i get the tach out of a manual or auto car? what year legacies will work? thanks again...

Sorry, can't answer those questions, but someone else sure will be.

Good luck!

Prolly any Leggie from years 95-99. They all have the same dash, instrument panel, and guages. I wouldn't think there is any difference if the tach came from either a 2.2 or 2.5 motored car, as rpm read out is simply that on either motor.

Prolly easier to pull the instrument cluster out as a complete unit from a car at a wrecking yard, then swap out the tac at your kitchen table at home. Spread out some old newspapers on the table before working, so the table stays clean. It makes my wife a lot happier when I use the newspapers for this type of work.

95 -99 all the instrument clusters are the same. if you find one with mileage close to yours, just swap the whole thing and don't mess with the tach it self. save the old for a spare.

Agree, much easier to simply swap in an entire instrument cluster. If you go this route, be sure to turn on the head lights to see if any bulbs are burned out in the donor instrument cluster before completely reinstalling. If so, you will want to replace the bad bulbs before finishing the project. Use bulbs from your old instrument cluster if needed.

thanks fellas....ive already considered just swapping the cluster but i dont think im going to go that route...im just going to do the tach..the directions i got earlier in the thread are phenominal....thanks again for all your help...hopefully it will be a successful swap...lol..