Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Widening the spare?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaTech

NinjaTech

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Lacey

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

Has anyone considered widening a set of spare tire wheels? I noticed the other day that they're a 15x4" wheel. That's a bit to narrow to have most tires on so I was wondering if widening them is a viable option. Is it just not cost effective? Also does anyone know how much it would cost or know a place between seattle and portland that does it?

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,998 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

been discussed.....thin metal....not strong enough for any real use.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:52 AM

you'll completely agree and understand when you compare the spare with a real tire side by side.

#4 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

I used to run the 2 wheel drive spares. They are 14" wheels. I ran them on 2 of my Loyales that I had lifted. They worked great on and off road. I beat the crap out of them and besides the bead getting a little bent they held up great! I ran them and I had a couple friends who ran them as well. Never had any problems and like I said....they were tested! I ran them for several years and took lots of long road trips with them as well. At the time I didn't have Puegot wheels and couldn't find any so that was the only option in getting a bigger tire!

#5 NinjaTech

NinjaTech

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Lacey

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

so are the 14" spares stronger? How wide are they? also what size tires were you running on them?

#6 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

so are the 14" spares stronger? How wide are they? also what size tires were you running on them?

No I don't think they are any stronger than the 15" as far as the thickness of the metal, but they worked excellent for me. I had 205/70/14 onthem so not huge but they worked. Another friend of mine was running the 15" spares and he was running the old factory tires of an Outback. I think they are like 205/70/15? they are pretty tall. But again they worked great for me and a few of my friends and we tested the crap out of them! But they are spare tire rims and I know that's not what they were meant for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users