Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Widening the spare?

NinjaTech

Has anyone considered widening a set of spare tire wheels? I noticed the other day that they're a 15x4" wheel. That's a bit to narrow to have most tires on so I was wondering if widening them is a viable option. Is it just not cost effective? Also does anyone know how much it would cost or know a place between seattle and portland that does it?

I used to run the 2 wheel drive spares. They are 14" wheels. I ran them on 2 of my Loyales that I had lifted. They worked great on and off road. I beat the crap out of them and besides the bead getting a little bent they held up great! I ran them and I had a couple friends who ran them as well. Never had any problems and like I said....they were tested! I ran them for several years and took lots of long road trips with them as well. At the time I didn't have Puegot wheels and couldn't find any so that was the only option in getting a bigger tire!

so are the 14" spares stronger? How wide are they? also what size tires were you running on them?

No I don't think they are any stronger than the 15" as far as the thickness of the metal, but they worked excellent for me. I had 205/70/14 onthem so not huge but they worked. Another friend of mine was running the 15" spares and he was running the old factory tires of an Outback. I think they are like 205/70/15? they are pretty tall. But again they worked great for me and a few of my friends and we tested the crap out of them! But they are spare tire rims and I know that's not what they were meant for.