Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what about the springs.......Help

thermalsurfing1

Hello i was hoping someone could help with a argument me and a friend are having. i have a 1983 Subaru gl wagon and we are putting on a 4 " lift on the rear, anyway i want to use rancho RS5241 shocks. so here is the argument, he says we cant because of the springs that are on the rear, i say we can because i have looked at pictures here on usmb that have RS5241 ranchos on the rear and no springs. so what is the real deal on this matter ! thanks........

if it is an EA81 as in your avatar, the only springs are in the torsion tube, and they use a regular shock. if it's an EA82 the springs are in a coil over. therefore if you have an EA81 you can put the shocks on no problem other than fabbing mounts. you still can with the EA82 as a second shock, which is worthless.

if you have EA82 struts installed on your EA81, take them off, see how much the suspension sags. if it's only a little, torque the torsion bars (disconnect the arm from the torsion bar and adjust the torsion bar one spline on the assembly) fight to get the parts back together and it should level out and you can use the shocks. otherwise if the EA81 suspension is shot, replace the torsion bars if you want to use ea81 suspension. also look under the back seat, remove the body plug in the center, look down, there is an adjustment bolt to adjust the torsion suspension. pull the torsion bars out and torque them only if you need that little extra from the suspension.

Edited by Rooinater

Right here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83980

The newest "Rancho thread".

Seems to be the way to go. :)

I have an 83 GL as well. (not lifted though)

The fact it has torsion bars instead of traditional springs should not affect the shock you use. (though at the same time it does as the EA82 and EA81 are different, but still just shocks, ones just a coil over)

And there's alot of different brands, designs, ect. But (someone correct me if I'm wrong) shocks are shocks. Other than some "exotic" types they pretty much all function the same. The Ranchos are gonna do the same thing as the factory ones. Proly just do it better. :)

Right here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83980

The newest "Rancho thread".

Seems to be the way to go. :)

I have an 83 GL as well. (not lifted though)

The fact it has torsion bars instead of traditional springs should not affect the shock you use. (though at the same time it does as the EA82 and EA81 are different, but still just shocks, ones just a coil over)

And there's alot of different brands, designs, ect. But (someone correct me if I'm wrong) shocks are shocks. Other than some "exotic" types they pretty much all function the same. The Ranchos are gonna do the same thing as the factory ones. Proly just do it better. :)

shocks aren't just shocks in the case of coilover shock vs shock. the EA82 coilovers are designed as the suspension and shock in one. the EA81 is a torsion bar and shock combo. if you put a plain shock in a vehicle equiped with coilovers whether factory or not it will not sit the same unless the coilover is doing nothing because there is another perfectly functioning suspension system. take my vehicle for example, it's an EA81 with EA82 coilovers, if i take the coilovers off the whole a$$ end sags down and does not sit level. the coilovers hold up the vehicle. so as long as it's not a case where there is swapped in coilovers that ARE supporting vehicle weight it's perfectly fine to just throw on rancho shocks.

Edited by Rooinater

thats because you beat the hell out of your rump roast end ......:lol:cheers, brain

shocks aren't just shocks in the case of coilover shock vs shock. the EA82 coilovers are designed as the suspension and shock in one. the EA81 is a torsion bar and shock combo. if you put a plain shock in a vehicle equiped with coilovers whether factory of not it will not sit the same unless the coilover is doing nothing because there is another perfectly functioning suspension system. take my vehicle for example, it's an EA81 with EA82 coilovers, if i take the coilovers off the whole a$$ end sags down and does not sit level. the coilovers hold up the vehicle.

thats because you beat the hell out of your rump roast end ......:lol:cheers, brain

lmao

it's been wheeled... :grin: and the person that put the last lift in decided to swap in the EA82 shocks which sagged the rear... albeit it does limit the axle from over extending that way and drives fairly smooth.

Edited by Rooinater

shocks aren't just shocks in the case of coilover shock vs shock. the EA82 coilovers are designed as the suspension and shock in one. the EA81 is a torsion bar and shock combo. if you put a plain shock in a vehicle equiped with coilovers whether factory or not it will not sit the same unless the coilover is doing nothing because there is another perfectly functioning suspension system. take my vehicle for example, it's an EA81 with EA82 coilovers, if i take the coilovers off the whole a$$ end sags down and does not sit level. the coilovers hold up the vehicle. so as long as it's not a case where there is swapped in coilovers that ARE supporting vehicle weight it's perfectly fine to just throw on rancho shocks.

I should have explained it a little more.

I meant if you took the spring off the EA82 coil over. Then you are left with just a shock. Ya know if you took a stock EA81 and EA82 completely apart in the back. Out of each car you would get 2 shocks, and 2 springs. Different designs but doing the same thing. One of those "it's the same, but different" situations.

I was meaning if he and one or the other. Not both setups. As I knew that it's pretty comon for peeps to fit EA82 shocks and springs on EA81's. :)

well i have it all put back together now and went with the coil springs because they still fit after the lift but now it is very stiff in the rear. what are the drawbacks if i go with the ranchos , i have heard in one reply that i may brake the torsion bar ? what are your thoughts, springs or shocks........... hmmmmm

i think maybe shocks because it will be back to stock for a ea81 and because ranchos look cool ! but i don't want to bust anything as i do take it off road most of the time.