Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ever heard of a product called steel seal it is designed for blown headgaskets, warped heads and cracked heads. I went to the web site and watched a video it comes with a lifetime warranty. I figured what the hell im going to try it for $80.00 and if it works great if not I get my money back and were back to this point.

Well I know most people would say not to use anything like that in your motor, but hey, I understand the money situation and if you're gonna get your money back if it doesn't work, I say why not! Hopefully it works, but even if it does, I will warn you, it won't last for long. You will still have to do the HG's or get rid of the car, no matter what. Good luck!

he only needs to get by until may when his hours at work pick up. go look at the web site and watch the video it says its not a band aid its a permanent fix. Who knows Ill try it and let you know how it works. That mainely subarus site is really cool there are people there that I have talked to before and didnt even know. like one guy Diablo I have talked to at work when he came in to service a machine.

Don't waste your money. That product is for head gaskets that are leaking into the cylinders. Your problem is that the cylinders are venting gasses into the coolant and forcing it out of the system. With positive pressure from the cylinders you are not going to get a seal. If you want a quality set of gaskets I can get you subaru gaskets for 60.00 for the two and I would ask the mechanic to replace them again since the originals didn't last. Tell him that if they fail again then you will pay him for his time, if not then the repair is on him. That way, if he thinks it is a waste of time he is going to get paid if he is right and you get the job done right if you are right.

Also, make sure he follows the subaru torque sequence. It is as follows.

first torque all bolts in sequence to 21 ft-lbs then again to 51 ft-lbs.

Back off all the bolts in reverse order 180 degrees and then another 180 degrees.

Now torque bolts 1 and 2 to 25 ft'lbs and 3-6 to 11 ft-lbs in sequence

Torque all bolts in sequence 90 degrees

Again, torque all bolts in sequence 90 degrees

That is a confusing pattern, but it is the required sequence from Subaru.

No matter what he says stick by your guns and get him to replace the gaskets.

If you were down in Richmond, I'd do it with you and then you could get some hands on experience.

Let me know if you want me to get the gaskets for you. I'm sure shipping wouldn't be much

Mike

It isn't a cracked head. And yes, if the headgaskets were not properly installed according to the above torque sequence than they can fail very quickly. If you have them redone, it would be a good idea to make sure the heads are nice and straight

I agree. If the heads got hot enough to crack, then you also have serious damage to the block. If you don't have any rod knock, then it didn't get hot enought to crack the head. The bearings fail when the block gets too hot.

Just let me know if you want the gaskets and I will order them for you.

That sealing stuff sounds like snakeoil. It will probably cause more problems than it is worth, possibly plugging your radiator or heater core. Yes they are know to fail quickly if they are not subaru gaskets and if the torque sequence is not followed precisely. 2.5 motors are just very hard to seal if the proper parts and procedures are not followed. But if everything is done with care (correct subaru parts and procedures) this car will last a very long time:)

I tried the steel seal only because he needs the car and can't afford any more repaires. So far 3 days of running the temp hasn't gone up and is not burning antifreeze. Hopefully this stuff is good but I do know one thing he is driving his car and I get my truck back.

Keep us updated, the steel seal might be better than the subaru coolant additive that dont work.

Good luck

I tried the steel seal only because he needs the car and can't afford any more repaires. So far 3 days of running the temp hasn't gone up and is not burning antifreeze. Hopefully this stuff is good but I do know one thing he is driving his car and I get my truck back.

so far so good its been 1 week . I did talk to the mechanic and had it checked by another they seem to think its something in the lower end. the car is burning tiny amounts of antifreeze but not getting hot. I told the boy to monitor it and fill if needed and in the spring we will put it up for sale. He only paid $1300 and if we can get $750 well at least he will have money for a down payment on something newer.

• 2 weeks later...

well sorry to say the stuff didnt work. its still burning antifreeze but the temp guage isnt going up. made an appointment at the subaru garage to have them look at it. I figure if it needs a new engine and we can get it done for under $4,000 why not you cant find much for that price, the body is in nice shape so why not. The Boy ended up buying a new truck on friday. what the hell interest rates are low on vehicles.

Has anyone suggested looking at the base of the coolant crossover pipe? More and more I have seen these leaking, on both 2.2 and 2.5 engines. The orings go bad and steam seeps past. Since it then lands on a hot engine block, it evaporates quickly, and you never see any leakage.

like this

DSCF0013.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

Has anyone suggested looking at the base of the coolant crossover pipe? More and more I have seen these leaking, on both 2.2 and 2.5 engines. The orings go bad and steam seeps past. Since it then lands on a hot engine block, it evaporates quickly, and you never see any leakage.

WOW! Thanks Gloyale. That's a real eye opener!

well sorry to say the stuff didnt work.

I wonder if they'll really give you back the $80 for the product?

Why not just have the mechanic redo the head gaskets. He obviously didn't do it correctly the 1st time. You paid him for the job right? You didn't get your moneys worth.

I wonder if they'll really give you back the $80 for the product?

Why not just have the mechanic redo the head gaskets. He obviously didn't do it correctly the 1st time. You paid him for the job right? You didn't get your moneys worth.

That is the suggestion that i made. I am sure the headgaskets weren't done properly in the first place. Won't know if you don't ask.