Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

keeping the wheel from spinning tool

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

When I need to keep the wheel locked while removing the axle nut or rotor bolts.
I use a length of unistrut. I fits right over two lug bolts perfect. Mine is about 3-4 ft. long. The end rests on the ground the other end over the two bolts, just watch buggering up the threads.

Unistrut is a piece of channel steel, predrilled with oblong holes about every 2-3 inches, used to mount hvac or other equipment.

Peace... out, Dave.

'78, '87 brats

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

Interesting. When I was more active yanking axles at PAP I used a box wrench around one stud and braced against the next stud, a two foot pipe to get some leverage, and a couple of wheel rims to brace it against. Worked for me at the time.

#3 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

Ed, how do you define "less active"? The older I get the more it seems I have to do.
Just turned 56. Dave.

#4 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:49 AM

Ed, how do you define "less active"? The older I get the more it seems I have to do.
Just turned 56. Dave.

Biggest change is that I don't have a EA82 car anymore. Impreza and Forester axles are easy. Only EA81 I have left if the Brat and I have lots of spares for it. The other advantage I might have is the kids have all moved out.:grin:

#5 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:23 AM

I've used uni-strut for years and never thought of that use...

I have an extra long tire iron for that purpose. Rest the socket end on the floor/ground and slip the other end between two lugs.

Thinking I may have a length of uni-strut out in the garage. If not, I know I can get some from work.....

#6 oldschool

oldschool

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • portland

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hey the uni-strut works great out in a junk yard or a u- pull it. Thanks for the tip, made my life easier. Thanks Rob:banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users