Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 legacy gt that after replacing head gaskets reset codes. After driving over 200 miles there is no code but there are 4 test monitors that are still running. To pass emissions here you can only have 2 that are still running. I talked with a mechanic friend and he told me that 96's have a problem with the software that it could take a 1000 miles or more to finish running tests. He said that 97 didn't have the problem. I was wondering if there was a software update or could I put in a newer ECU from a 97 or newer.

well i don't know anything about the test monitors, but is he really sure about that? that sounds bizarre to me.

but - 1996 was the first year for the 2.5 liter, so maybe there were some minor code quirks like this.

ECU's are like lego's. you can swap 2.2 and 2.5 ECU's all day long from 96 up to??? not sure when, but at least 1998 to maintain the same engine config of the Phase I DOHC's.

There should be a number of driving proceedures you can do that speed up the process to set the remaining monitors. There is a manual that the IM folks refer to that covers the list of things that need to be done while driving to set the monitiors though not all of them may have it. I used the list one time when I needed to have an IM test done and the memory was wiped due to a discharged battery. The tech I was working with was kind enough to let me write down the things I needed to do in order to set the monitors. I didn't get all of them set but it was enough to qualify to run the IM test.

I have a 96 legacy gt that after replacing head gaskets reset codes. After driving over 200 miles there is no code but there are 4 test monitors that are still running. To pass emissions here you can only have 2 that are still running. I talked with a mechanic friend and he told me that 96's have a problem with the software that it could take a 1000 miles or more to finish running tests.[...]

If the correct procedure is followed, less than 30 miles should be adequate for I/M readiness.

See: http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/OBDInfo.pdf

Note that if you turn off the engine before testing, the monitors will reset to ''not ready''. However, that shouldn't be a problem at any testing facility that knows about this, since the '96 models are typically on an exclusion list for OBD-II monitor readiness. See: http://www.nj.gov/dep/bmvim/bmvim_obdvehicles.htm

Also see Appendix D of this EPA document: http://www.epa.gov/OMS/regs/im/obd/r01015.pdf

Edited by OB99W
Added links for excluded vehicles

If the correct procedure is followed, less than 30 miles should be adequate for I/M readiness.

Note that if you turn off the engine before testing, the monitors will reset to ''not ready''. However, that shouldn't be a problem at any testing facility that knows about this, since the '96 models are typically on an exclusion list for OBD-II monitor readiness.

Thanks for that information. I am surprised that my friend didn't know that. I tried it out took the car out and ran it for about 25 miles and did not turn the car off and tested and all monitors were ran. Turned the car off and then tested again and the same four test monitors were blinking again. I only drove the car 2 miles from there home and tested again and all but two were out so that would be good enough to pass. Thanks again.

Thanks for that information. I am surprised that my friend didn't know that. I tried it out took the car out and ran it for about 25 miles and did not turn the car off and tested and all monitors were ran. Turned the car off and then tested again and the same four test monitors were blinking again. I only drove the car 2 miles from there home and tested again and all but two were out so that would be good enough to pass. Thanks again.

You're welcome, seems like you'll have no problem passing.

• 3 years later...

I am also in PA. Can you provide a proof that this is true? I am going thru the same thing(ecu readiness) my 96 won't pass emission test and mechanic said just keep driving until ecu is ready, but I don't want to drive the car with expired emission sticker.

Thanks

96 Subarus are exempt from the OBD2 test here in PA for the reasons listed. Here the 96s just get a visual inspection and a gas cap test.

Edited by pearlm30

Thanks

Maybe I should switch to a different inspection station who knows better. I read PA clean air website and couldn't find anything about exclusion list for MY96 subaru.

if they're otherwise good i wouldn't hold an outlier  situation against them too much.