Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I went out to go start my 93 subaru legacy to go home after college. The dash lights were dim. I turn the key and get nothing.I check the battery and its connections, seemed good and tight. I tried one of the windows and it rolled down like it had like 4volts to it.After fidling around for a while, it cranks just as strong as ever and fires up. Also everytime I tried to start it and there was nothing the tach would jump around.

Any idea what the hell was wrong with it?I mean I could have been trying to get a girl in the sack and the car doesnt work,that wouldnt get me anywhere...um, if it did start then once we got somewhere secluded it could break down...But not at the college...

I did play around with the battery cables.the positive was a little corroded. I suppose now that Im home I can clean the positive and negative connections, and I'll look that the starter wire.

Normally it starts right up,then all of the sudden it did that...

This sounds like a very typical grounding issue. If you live in an area that salts its roads or near the ocean, then more than likely you need to check the ground connections (both on the battery and at the other ends!).

Also, as temperatures drop, your battery will lose cranking amps (colder temperatures mean the chemical reactions in the battery take place more slowly and any age-related deficiencies are exposed). If you live in an area that is getting colder about now and your battery is older (over 4 years), then you should really consider replacing the battery.

So, at this point, I would suggest a battery cable kit or at least an opening and "freshening" of all major battery cable connections and a new battery.

Good Luck!

Whats the average life span of an Optima battery?

I shopped optoimas. I chose a regular battery as they seemed to be longer rated. If you do any deep discharge stuff then an optima is best.

Folks, he said he is in college, no reason to recomend a pricey battery when a regular battery which is easier on the wallet would perform equally well.

nipper

I recomend either DieHard or Interstate. I know there all the hype but theyve been worth it. The diehard weatherhandler in my wagon was a year old when my brother had it. It finally gave up the ghost 7 years after it was bought. Worth every penny, when my wifes factory battery died in her van this year i replaced it with a diehard. One of the few things you might not want to skimp out on is a good power supply.

I recomend either DieHard or Interstate. I know there all the hype but theyve been worth it. The diehard weatherhandler in my wagon was a year old when my brother had it. It finally gave up the ghost 7 years after it was bought. Worth every penny, when my wifes factory battery died in her van this year i replaced it with a diehard. One of the few things you might not want to skimp out on is a good power supply.

All I buy are diehards.

nipper

I shopped optoimas. I chose a regular battery as they seemed to be longer rated. If you do any deep discharge stuff then an optima is best.

Folks, he said he is in college, no reason to recomend a pricey battery when a regular battery which is easier on the wallet would perform equally well.

I'll give you an AHMEN in that one! I'm in law school, so I totally understand the "student's budget." Which is before battery replacement, I would recommend cleaning ALL the battery cables, because the car cranked FINE shortly after the "no cranking and jumpy tach" issue. Honestly, this sounds like a textbook grounding issue.

Good job.

nipper

I have no experience with Optimas, but I've had a few friends who've bought them. None of them lasted more than 6 months.

Wow, your friends had terrible luck, or a piece of crap charging system.

With Optimas; they generally are on of those things that you get what you pay for. I've sold alot of batteries and both Optimas or NAPAs copy (the Orbital) have always been excellent. I have a few hanging around from 01, and earlier. The one in my S10 runs a 1200 watt stereo for hours on end without needing to start the truck.

As far as all of your brand loyaltys: Batteries are like tires, and oil filters. There's really only a few manufacturers out there. So, there's a good chance that DieHard or Interstate rolled down the line next to one that was destined to get a Schucks sticker, and be sold for $15 less.