Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shocks and breaks Question

ViceMan

It's an '88 GL with 90 HP and an automatic. :rolleyes:

Answer: Whatever brand is cheapest (probably Autozone). At this point they will probably outlast the usable life of the car no matter what brand you buy.

Any what makes you think the shocks are bad? Does it bounce?

I have yet to find a legitimate "bad" shock on a Subaru (I've owned dozens). My '83 hatch has like 240k on it and the shocks/struts are original. All they do is dampen the springs - so if it doesn't bounce when you push down on each corner - they aren't bad enough to need replacement yet. Maybe if this were a sports car but as noted above..... it's a 90 HP automatic. :-\

GD

I am looking to get and install new shocks and breaks. The question that i have is what ones should I get? in case anyone forgot, I have a 1988 Subaru GL, SPFI, AT. thanks again.

ViceMan

Hi,

if you have time to wait for parts shipped, RockAuto online has the best prices on brake pads that i found, and have been very good to deal with , i got a wrong part, called them, they just sent another, didn't even want the wrong one back. and ebay is ok sometimes for parts.

I have yet to find a legitimate "bad" shock on a Subaru (I've owned dozens).
wait until you start doing more EJ stuff, lots of bad struts and shocks. very annoying, another area where subaru's reliability decreased.

i have right now in my garage a few bad struts, broken coil springs, leaky struts, etc, all EJ stuff. i too have never seen failed EA/ER coil spring struts, though i'm sure it happens. just funny discrepancy.

What!?!?!?!?!?!?!? you mean to say its wasn't the most awesome, best looking, fastest sports car on the planet in 1988 like the used car salesman told me? My world is shattered, ruined................

LOL

Yeah they are bad, I can take my entire back end and make it bounce no problem. and each front corner, although for some crazy reason the front driver side shocks and springs are stiffer than any of the others, which in certain situations makes the car steering wheel turn, although since I know the car its not to much trouble.

I do have to say that even though I have only given minimal maintenance still still runs, without any real problems. Even now considering what i need to with it, it was still a good buy.

You know even with its reliability decreased it still outlast anything else.

Oh one story I heard from my brother. 3 big trucks with chains on of various makes and one chainless Subaru Baja in the mountains in the winter. The Subaru pulls all three trucks out of trouble at one time or another during there journey. I thought that was funny.

ViceMan

Edited by ViceMan

I have seen an EA82 shock blow on stock springs.

and I destroyed all 4 in my wagon. although I had 500lb/in springs on it, and it was lowered enough that I would still occasionally bottom them out :grin:

anyway, when I had that stock one blow, I got a pair of Monroe shocks at NAPA, they were about $100 or so, which was a bit more than I wanted to pay for monroes, but I needed them ASAP (I think they could get them the next day).

when I bought new shocks for my XT6 (when I dumped the air), I got KYB GR2s. I got both rear ones for like $80 shipped on ebay. I really like the way they ride...just go onto KYB.com and find the part for your car, and then do a search on ebay motors for that part number (don't forget to check the "include item description in search" box), there's usually a few ebay stores with them for a decent price.

and then, yea, Rockauto is probably your best bet for cheap brake hardware.