Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pictures and Video of my Subaru "Wuggy"

Okay, new guy here. My name is Dave, I live in Indiana. I love all kinds of cars, I recently get a phone call from a buddy that says buy a car that you can off road race on this guys big rough dirt track. I honestly didnt know much about Subarus, but I know that they are tough and dependable. SO I bought an 89 GL Wagon, 5 speed, 4X4, fuel injected, stock. I paid $200 for it at the local police auction, the windshield was smashed but otherwise decent. Next I purchased a set of custom cut 13 inch snow tires, put in new windshield and then gutted it. The first race was on July 4th and I ran circles around the other cars, it rained that day! Well one thing lead to another, then the back hatch was removed and with some cutting it looked like a 4 door Brat thing. Then I cut off the entire back end and moved the gas tank. Then I bobbed the front end a little and made a custom front bumper. Camoflaged it. Made a custom front end lift for it. Installed a set of Isuzu Trooper rims with Big O mud terrains. Currently working on rewiring the entire thing, moving battery, moving radiator, plastic race seats. I call it my Subaru "Wuggy". I hope that you guys enjoy it, and any and all comments are welcome. Thanks, Dave. I have a pretty neat video on Youtube that I can link to, but I am not allowed to post pictures yet. Here is my link.

When the biggest chunk of the rear body "fell" off. It hit the ground with a thud and the back end went up about 2". I figured that before I lifted it, I would remove as much weight as possible to make it as tall as it could get with no lift at all. The back clears 235 mud terrains that measure just shy of 29" tall. The front does have a set of 2 inch spacers. I am going to weigh the car soon. I figure that I have removed somewhere around 500 to 700 pounds off of the Wuggy. I would guess that it will weigh somewhere around 1600 pounds now??

Yeah, the back tire had about 4 feet of daylight under it. Long term future plans for it include welding the subframes together. Then building a custom roll cage on top of it. Then I am going to cut away the entire body to accomplish a tube buggy, should make it stronger, lighter, and safer in a roll over. I would like to see it weigh in at 1200 pounds without me in it, but that may not be possible to get it that light.

This is a great website full of lots of information, but it needs a glossary somewhere. Half the time I get lost in all the abbreviations and slang terms. Also I do not seem to be able to post any pictures yet, do I need to have a certain number of posts before I can post pictures?