Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ D/R gearbox deal

kiwishooter

Sorry to all those that are interested in one of these gearboxes.

Right this is where it is at now........I can't get the gearboxes for NZ$300 from the new person......he says they are worth NZ$550 each and if I want trim etc that is also extra.

I also called the transport company and the price of freight would increase with the fluctuation of our exchange rate

This means the price of a gearbox would go from US$350 including freight to approx US$401 plus freight so over US$500.

So at the moment I am going to cancel this deal and perhaps look at it again when the exchange rate is more favourable, at US$0.55 the price would drop to approx US380 per gearbox.

Thank you to all the members who were supportive of this deal......I know there are good Americans and others......just like there are good New Zealanders and others. Sorry the way this has worked out but that's the way it goes sometimes.........Cheers to all.....Ian

Hey,

"

Well, that sucks. Sounds like I'm back to adapting to an EA series transmission."

Yea but, there's only so many of those. How many left that are "really good" transmissions?

Well, I've got 2 that are, but I hardly ever see another around here these days.

Doug

I'm sure that it gonna get more common to see custom axle replacements if the ea d/r trannies fade out as everyone will be moving to ej stuff.

No big money wanted to make a drop I see. Its not like they are impossible to get, you just have to be pro active to get them shipped. If my old antique buyer was still unretired I could have gotten a tonne shipped. He worked in full sized containers.

Hi GD,

That's good to know they're out there, but how many are "really good"? No crunched syncros, solid bearings, seals...that sort of thing. A lot of what's out there has been run through the mill. High mileage stuff.

Pretty soon you mix new parts with about three transmissions to get a good one or something. Been there, done that with Muncie 4 speeds.

To fix one of these with abuse/high mileage would take some new syncros, bearings, seals...whatever.

Thanks, have all I need for now, but you neverknow.

Doug

To fix one of these with abuse/high mileage would take some new syncros, bearings, seals...whatever.

Actually, the 5 speeds seem to age much better than the older 4's. I have yet to run across a 5 speed D/R that had really bad issues. It seems that the 5 speed's last around 400k or more - usually far outlasting the car/engine they came with. There are some that have been abused to be sure, but you can usually tell from the car.....

And they are easy to work on compared to a lot of transmissions. Replacing seals, bearings, and syncro's is not that difficult.

GD

How many do you want? I can get tons of them any day of the week.

GD

Still true on the west coast, but not out east (where Doug and I are). Most yards here have crushed all of their EA82s at this point, since very few are still on the road and nobody is buying parts.

The same thing happened a few years ago, when I was running Scouts- I was the only one buying anything off the ones in the local yards.

Andy

Actually, the 5 speeds seem to age much better than the older 4's. I have yet to run across a 5 speed D/R that had really bad issues. It seems that the 5 speed's last around 400k or more - usually far outlasting the car/engine they came with. There are some that have been abused to be sure, but you can usually tell from the car.....

And they are easy to work on compared to a lot of transmissions. Replacing seals, bearings, and syncro's is not that difficult.

GD

Ok, I'll bite. I'm in Portland too, how much can get you get these for? I would have to do a bit more research but I'm gonna be pulling my ej22 for a head gasket and have always wanted a D/R subie. I'm assuming adapter plate+some sort of axle swap?