Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Impreza OBS 4th gear slipping problem

I'm having 4th gear pop-out while driving. This does not happen in any other gear. I do notice that it seems as if I can pull/push the stick back a little further than I can into other gears without pressing the clutch, perhaps just coincidence since 4th is a direct pull back?

I recently, 7-8k miles ago, did a head job, rear engine seals/covers, ACT clutch (SB2-HDSS) & flywheel (600185), throw out bearing, etc...

I'm figuring maybe the linkage is loose?, though this only happens in 4th. It only recently started in just the last 1k miles. The clutch is rock solid.

Are there any "know" 4th gear problems, linkage problems, etc...?

External linkage WILL affect things if it is not fully moving the clutch fork to properly engage the gear.

Inspect the shift linkage for play and adjustment.

How many miles are on this car?

Have you done the clutch test yet?

nipper

I'll have to get under the car to check the linkage this weekend. I have 195,000 and by "clutch test" I'm guessing dropping into 5th gear at idle, stops the engine.

The clutch is strong in all gears but sometimes in 4th during deacceleration or coasting it pops out of gear. It is not a loud pop or anything. It's as if the shifter has too much play (front to back) and it "slides" out of gear.

In my previous statement, "I do notice that it seems as if I can pull/push the stick back a little further than I can into other gears without pressing the clutch" so perhaps it shift linkage?

Clutch test

Put front bumper agains an immovable object (building).

Set Parking Brake

Put car in 5th gear

Let clutch out

Do everything you can with the gas pedal to keep the engine from stalling. If the engine stalls clutch is fine. If you can keep the engine running the clutch is on its way out.

But the play in the linkage tells me you may just have a worn busing in the shift linkage. Dont let this go to long as it can affect the synchro's if the gear is only partially engaged.

nipper

Do you have the rubber accordion shift boot?

If so try removing the boot and driving without it.

Might be bunching up and pushing the lever back in 4th.

I found my Impreze shifts alot better with a leather boot than the stock rubber one.

I just replaced the shift yoke and bushings on mine and it makes the shifting nice and crisp but its a HUGE pain in the arse to replace.Like 6 hours of knucking busting under the car kind of pain.

I'd have a mechanic do it. I'll certainly never do it again.

Dunno... but I just bought a '97 OBS with 230k on it, that is missing 4th gear entirely (make some grindy noises, but no power transfer). It will pop out of 3rd sometime, and out of 5th rarely, but if you hold it in, both those gears are still useable. Howls fairly bad in all gears though. And, the clutch slips if you really give it gas in 5th gear. I have no idea what was done to this car (the rest of it seems great). Previous owner said it's been going out for the past 4 years, and she never did anything (and it got worse -- suprised?... :confused:)

It's getting a 5MT dual range from an '87 GL.

Z

Clutch test

Put front bumper agains an immovable object (building).

Set Parking Brake

Put car in 5th gear

Let clutch out

Do everything you can with the gas pedal to keep the engine from stalling. If the engine stalls clutch is fine. If you can keep the engine running the clutch is on its way out.

But the play in the linkage tells me you may just have a worn busing in the shift linkage. Dont let this go to long as it can affect the synchro's if the gear is only partially engaged.

nipper

Wouldn't this test take about 10k miles off your clutches lifespan?! :eek: I wouldn't do that test unless you want to kill your clutch even worse than it already is.

I had a 73 VW camper bus that used to pop out of 4th gear. I found a great solution... a bungee cord wrapped around the shifter! When I got it in 4th gear I would just attach the other side of the bungee cord and be good to go!

It would stay in high gear with just a little pressure exerted by the bungee cord. :) This was a much nicer alternative to holding the shifter down on long drives.

Edited by Bigbusa