Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interior swaps? 04-on STI into 89 GL10??

ar design

Not at all is the answer to your question. The STi is so far removed from the GL-10 they might as well be different brands entirely. The Leone body of the GL-10 is about 5 or 6 generations of car and one major generation of engine back in time.

The STi engine/transmission won't even be easy to fit. While possible, it will take a LOT of work.

GD

Not at all is the answer to your question. The STi is so far removed from the GL-10 they might as well be different brands entirely. The Leone body of the GL-10 is about 5 or 6 generations of car and one major generation of engine back in time.

The STi engine/transmission won't even be easy to fit. While possible, it will take a LOT of work.

GD

What is needed for the driveline swap? Picking up a complete rollover STI at an auction.....

A TON of wireing and not a little bit of mechanical work. Hydraulic clutch, pedal assembly (E-Throttle), DCCD controller, custom exhaust, complete suspension swap (not simple)..... lots and lots of little issues. If the GL-10 isn't a turbo that makes is even harder - you will need an EA82 x-member from a turbo, etc.

The GL-10's suspension and brakes will not handle 300 HP. You will have to do a lot of work to make it safe at that level of performance.

GD

It is a turbo GL10, 89. Will the newer Impreza/STI suspension and brakes drop in? Or come close to working?

Nope. Not even close. You can do a five-lug swap using some XT6 parts but I don't know if that will interface with STi axles or not.

If I were you, I would use an Impreza body for this swap. The EA82 body is not very stiff. To be race ready they have to be gusseted and seam welded almost everywhere. Even then they aren't that strong. There is no aftermarket for anything on the car and all the newer stuff is different. When you hit 1990 and the Legacy (and later the Impreza), everything changed. It was nearly a complete redesign.

It can and has been done, but typically not with STi stuff. The USDM STi's are a little too new to make the swap easy. The older WRX's are a little more managable and some of the JDM import WRX/STi stuff is easier as well.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

GD is being overly melodramatic. It is possible, rather possible, just depending on what you want out of the car. The drive train is rather simple, depending on year. After 05, they went to a more advanced security system, that I for one would stay away from. The engine and trans drop right in with a few parts like an XT-6 rear trans mount and a turbo GL-10 crossmember provided you have one.

If you're going whole hog with the suspension too, you have to either modify the holes for the strut tops, or use your stock strut tops on the EJ struts. On the lower end you'll need XT-6 front lower control arms. In the back of the car is a different story. Nothing in the EA is similar, especially to the STi. It will have to be totally custom as the tops are not the same design and neither is the lower suspension design. The older stuff is a swing arm and newer is a strange dual link setup with a separate frame member for the diff.

The drive shaft will have top be modified as well and I'm sure a number of other things will need to be changed to make it all work... small stuff. The brakes will work as long as you use the EJ hubs, in the front at least.

Interior wise, you're up a creek. The seats can be made to fit. I have an STi drivers seat in my 89 XT-6 and all the seats from an 03 VDC in my 87 GL with working power and heaters.

It can/has been done, but a great love for the car and a lot of free time and money are needed.

I also just noticed you are near me :P

Yeah, my shop is off Santa Fe and Belleview.....

So perhaps I would be better off installing some aftermarket shocks and springs, swap over the STI brakes (fit on XT6 hubs I have, or do I need EJ?), and make a custom mount for the rear diff? Will any off the shelf axles come close to working with the XT6 or EJ hubs?

For the 5-lug conversion to use the '04 STi parts. You need to keep the XT6 lower control arms and rear hubs. Everything else can be adapted to fit. Rygyver (sp?) here on the board makes custom adapter rings that get welded into the center of the STi rear backing plates, then drill 3 holes and they bolt into the car. The use the XT6 hub with the STi rotor and caliper and the rear stuff is done.

Front, keep the XT6 control arms and ditch everything else. I have '96 Impreza parts on the front (knuckles, brakes, axles, struts) of my RX and have the rear backing plates done already. The front Brembos I have been told will bolt onto my knuckles but if not, I'll just probably put the '04 knuckles on, along with some different suspension.

I'm also been contemplating the STi rear subframe and lateral link suspension setup in the back too but its way too complicated for me to get into right now but I have a feeling it'll work in combination with a widebody:brow: