Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to Replace Cam Seals In car

makes it much easier if you remove the radiator as well, more room to work with. it's just annoying, go slow and expect it to take 5 times longer than it should (then you're happy if it only takes twice as long as it should!).

i just use a screw driver to pull them out. once you see how their in and designed it's rather easy to get them out. there's a lip on the seal the OD that actually contacts the metal cam housing. if you place a thin enough screw driver properly behind the seal against that lip, you can't scratch the housing if you proceed carefully.

reinstalling is what i find annoying, having the radiator out of the way is a really good idea for the first time.

A seal puller has two curved hooks on the ebd, so you can tap it in between the cam and the seal without scratching the cam, and the hook shape makes it easier to pry out the old seal. to put the new ones in, I use a deep impact socket as a driver, and gently tap on it with a hammer until the seal seats against the cam housing. The cam seals (Subaru part number 806732150 ) mate up nicely with a 32mm deep impact socket. You want a deep socket so that you can use it over the end of the camshaft. If you plan on replacing the crank seal as well (Subaru part number 806733030 ) you will want a 36mm deep impact socket. I also second taking the radiator out, as it simply gives you a lot more room to work with. When tapping the new seals in, I use the side of the hammer as I'm not striking with any significant force anyway, just tap tap tap. . .

SOHC egines use 2 cam seals and 1 crank seal

DOHC engines use 4 cam seals and 1 crank seal

I also recommend changing out the other seals at the same time (valve cover seals and valve cover retaining bolt seals. If you have them, spark plug channel seals as well). Also, I get my parts from Jason at Auburn Subaru.