Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale brakes

:mad:well doing a brake job on my 92 loyale and can't seem to figure out how to get the caliper off:confused: bolt on the bottom and nothing on top. really would like to get that done today, even in the rain. I'm sure you've all posted enough, but to me every time I try to post, it's like a scavenger hunt to find the post button...or whatever:mad: Thanks for your help in advance. I'm replacing rotors too, they have lots of stress fractures:grin:

That is because the rotor has a ridge right on the outer edge. You need to compress the pads just a bit for the pads to clear the rotor. Use a large screwdriver. When you get to the point of installing the new pads, the caliper piston has to be turned in. Trying to compress it won't work.

yea, it can stick. a screwdriver to pry it a bit, or some taps with a hammer (don't wail on it, there are breakable things nearby.....) usually do the trick.

but yea, if you've got that lower 14mm bolt out of the caliper, it should come loose. just a matter of encouraging it to do so.

:banana:Thanks guys. got it done, but now the brake pedal is soft:confused:, and have to pump it a couple times to get it to firm up and stop.....I did bleed the brakes!!:drunk: I'll try it again tomorrow when it's light. could it be anything else?

what all did you do? just new pads and that's it?

if it's just a little bit soft, often you just need to jam on it a couple times with the engine running (vacuum assist) to seat the pads, rotors, and caliper cylinder good.

if that's not the case....

when you compressed the piston in, did you loosen the cap on the master cylinder (where you add brake fluid)? if not, then you likely blew the seals in your master cylinder and need a new one. when you push in caliper pistons the fluid needs to go somewhere, back to the master cylinder and that pressure needs to be able to release. i've never seen it happen on a Subaru but on other vehicles it can sometimes cause the master cylinder to fail if the lid is left in place.

you're already done, but leaving the ebrake on will render he caliper housing immovable as well.

I replace front rotors too. but I didn't loose the brake fluid cap when i compressed the piston, and when I opened it acted like a vacuum:( ....but I did have the valve stems open....

Edited by 91Sub

I've never done permanent damage to a master cylinder, and I almost never remember to pull the cap off the reservoir....

did you bleed all 4 calipers? did you do it in the right order (LR, RF, RR, LF)?

soft pedal is usually a result of an air bubble.

I have not bled all the calipers. I have the rear shoes to put on, but waited till today when I get the new rear struts and can do it all at once. Thanks for the advice on the bleeding order. I don't know why but I can never remember left from right on a car:-p it's from as if you're sitting the the drivers seat...correct?