Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 2001 outback ll bean that needs new tires. Any favorites before I order on my own. I had such great help in fixing timing chain tensioner problem. I felt I could not leave you guys out on what tires to roll on.

Thanks again in advance Paul

Tires I was considering, OEM Bridgestones RE92, Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS ,Goodyear assurance tripletread, Potenza G019 Grid

I've been very happy with the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season (Ultra High Performance All-Season) tires I've been using for the last two years. I had Pirelli P0 Nero M&S tires before that, and the Eagles are far superior - especially on snow. I'm running a +2 upgrade (225/40-18), but they're available in higher profiles for the standard fitment.

The goodyear tripletread seem to be a good all around tire -- decent on the snow if it's not often. If you regularly drive on snow, actual snow tires are a world of difference better than all seasons -- I like the Ipike's myself, but you can also get the Icebears for a more performance oriented snow tire. If you drive on ice alot, studs are nice too in addition to a snow tire.... if they are allowed where you are (oddly, they are illegal in most of the eastern states where it's alot icier, and are legal out west, where we get more snow and less ice....). I've also had decent luck just getting the really cheap uniroyal made in china tires, for all season tires. Not as good of wearing as Michelins that are sort of the best ones in my mind, but, 2/3'rds or less the price. A new set of cheapo tires is still better traction than a bald set of good tires...

the stock Bridgestone RE92's have never gotten rave reviews. I never minded them but wasn't in awe of them either. I would not buy those new.

I look through tireracks online reviews and other places probably have them as well. Sometimes you can get lesser name brands with great performance without the name brand price.

Edited by grossgary

Beings how the general opinion on Bridgestone potenza is garbage (i agree) I would probably do anything but Potenza's They wear really prematurely, and tend to not have much traction compared to other respectable tires out there. Almost anything you can get is better than a potenza

I've been very happy with the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season (Ultra High Performance All-Season) tires I've been using for the last two years. I had Pirelli P0 Nero M&S tires before that, and the Eagles are far superior - especially on snow. I'm running a +2 upgrade (225/40-18), but they're available in higher profiles for the standard fitment.

Interesting, the tirerack surveys seem to indicate the goodyear F1's turn to junk after 15,000 miles. Cupping, and get loud. Do they get noisy?

I've been on a BFGoodrich kick for the past few months. Have a set of G-Force T/A KDWS on my Lincoln (though admittedly I got those on sale and probably wouldn't have picked them otherwise) put a set of Traction T/A Ts on my sisters car, and I'm about to put a set on my mothers car. My neighbor asked me about tires for his Taurus and I recommended the BFG traction T/A to him and he loves them compared to the stock Continentals. They're quiet, grip well, and rain traction is brilliant. Almost like it's not even wet.

The BFG Advantage T/A is not so great though. That is what's on my mothers car now, and they've been noisy since day one and haven't worn exactly even, even though the car is in perfect alignment.

Interesting, the tirerack surveys seem to indicate the goodyear F1's turn to junk after 15,000 miles. Cupping, and get loud. Do they get noisy?

Mine are apparently the 2nd-generation version that clears up the wear problems with the original design. I've had no problems (no uneven wear) but I'm still at ~8k miles on them.

We run Michelin Harmony on our Acclaim but use Michelin Alpins in winter

We run Goodyear Assurance on the Neon but Dunlap Graspic DS1 winters

On the Impreza , the Eagles we were running had a broken belt so we switched to BFG Traction TA for summer and a winter Goodyear Winter ST2 snow /mud.

I agree with fairtax4me about the TA's , but how much snow/mud do you have to deal with , and for how many months ?

I second the recommendation for B F Goodrich T/A series. When I first got my 2001 LL Bean Wagon, it had some kind of Michelin "rain" tires on it. They might have been okay, traction wise, when they were new, but they were pretty bad as they wore. One key thing that a tire dealer pointed out to me was be sure to get a tire that's rated for your car. I believe the 2001 LL Bean requires an "H" rated tire. A lot of "all-weather", high mileage touring type tires are not "H" rated and can get real sloppy on you after a few years. I don't know what all goes into the letter ratings, but when I bought the BFG H-rated tires, It immediately felt like an all around better ride. Try Costco for good deals on tires. If they don't have your size in stock, you can buy them on-line from Costco and have them delivered to your local Costco, shipping and mounting included. jusy mt2 cents. Thanks for reading...