Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VLSD works well - used it today!!

I'm stoked on the VLSD on my new 2007 Forrester. My 97 outback could never make it up my drive without a good run in the snow. Well we got 7 inches of the white stuff here so far and its still dumping. The forrester just crawled right up. wow! it really does work.

That is all.

Ryan

the forrester just crawled right up. wow! it really does work.
the VLSD may not have done anything. it doesn't do anything until slippage (viscosity = viscous) causes the fluid to lock up the guts in the diff. without slipping a VLSD is an open diff, exactly like your old one. you would have needed to be dancing around a bit to get any kind of additional traction from it.

that you crawled right up probably says more about the tires.

if you have a treacherous driveway and snow to contend with then snow tires are more important than anything else. i run them out here and they are well worth it. tires > 4WD any day of the week.

the VLSD may not have done anything. it doesn't do anything until slippage (viscosity = viscous) causes the fluid to lock up the guts in the diff. without slipping a VLSD is an open diff, exactly like your old one. you would have needed to be dancing around a bit to get any kind of additional traction from it.

that you crawled right up probably says more about the tires.

if you have a treacherous driveway and snow to contend with then snow tires are more important than anything else. i run them out here and they are well worth it. tires > 4WD any day of the week.

Good point. But I'm a 4x4 nerd with past Jeeps and the VLSD did do the trick. And yes it did do a little dance so I know traction was lost at some point. The Outback would have just spun till I backed her up and dialed in ramming speed. They have similiar tires (not snows). All in all the forrester launches better from snowy stop signs with the VLSD. I am now a believer. I need to find a junkyard VLSD for my outback lol.

Still snowing.

awesome. once it was "locked" do you feel like it stayed that way the whole time, how long was the drive up?

if you're driving in that much snow and like the LSD you'd be floored by quality snow tires. they make all seasons look like ice skates. the difference between snow tires and non is huge.

awesome. once it was "locked" do you feel like it stayed that way the whole time, how long was the drive up?

if you're driving in that much snow and like the LSD you'd be floored by quality snow tires. they make all seasons look like ice skates. the difference between snow tires and non is huge.

Well the distance is about 75ft. I had my wife do it when she got home and I watched. She thinks we are all dorks here btw but whatever, we know we are cool.

Anyway the rear driver tire spun about 3/4 revolution as far as I can tell before the other hooked up. Then it was up and away. Really cool. Only a Subaru engineer prob knows how long the fluid stays gelled after being activated. I can't tell honestly.

Still snowing.

Edited by Dickensheets

Speaking of snow tires, anyone got a favorite model? I'm thinking of picking up a set since I live at the bottom of a ~1/8 mile 25-30% grade hill that S curves thrice on the way up. :rolleyes: It's a lot of fun in my Lincoln but you tend to eat up tires pretty quick when you're doing 40mph at the back wheels and 3mph with the fronts. :lol:

i would guess you're not needing something spectacular, a set of Blizzacs will do you well and can be had reasonably priced.

from what i've heard/seen the cheaper snow tires are going to last 2-3 winters and the really nice ones (Nokian) are going to hold excellent snow traction for 4-5. the Blizzacs are fantastic but they even have a noticeable reduction in snow traction after 2 or 3 seasons. i can't quantify that...but they are stellar brand new.

being in a not so snowy/cold climate might make any snow tire not keep top notch rubber, i don't know.

from what i've heard/seen the cheaper snow tires are going to last 2-3 winters and the really nice ones (Nokian) are going to hold excellent snow traction for 4-5. the Blizzacs are fantastic but they even have a noticeable reduction in snow traction after 2 or 3 seasons.

Colorado is really rough on snow tires -- I can get two seasons out of them at most and they are shot by the end of the second season... we tend to have snow and ice at the top of the mountain, but not down below, and warm 60 degree days all winter down in Denver. But, ice and snowdrifts all winter up here. And, early storms (like the 30 inches we got yesterday), and late storms (like the 34 inches I got on April 18th last spring). So... you end up keeping the snow tires on a longer time than other places (studs are legal year round here), but driving them on warm dry roads alot too. Wears them out fast.

In a more regimented climate like eastern WA, or probably back east where the roads all turn to packed snow around thanksgiving and pretty much stay that way till the end of March, they'll last longer.

I've used Firestone Winterforce tires before, and they work well enough, but only lasted two seasons. A friend of mine picked up a set of Snowtrakker tires I think they're called, don't know who makes them or where to even get them. But he's had them on his Volvo wagon for 3 FULL years now, winter and summer, and they still have plenty of tread left. And he puts about 25k miles a year on that car.

I noticed the VLSD back when I had my 03 Forester XS it took decent amount of wheel spin to get the VLSD going.. but now that I'm back in a 95 without it I'm thinking of finding a used diff and find a rear LSD (No VLSD if possible) and put the bits in.. should be a good winter project along with some other work that needs to be done.