Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The good news is there are no MOTOR oil leaks.

The BAD news is......sigh.......it's the rack & pinion leaking. How do I know? The PS fluid is now on the low side and all other lubricant levels are staying steady.

RATS!!!

Rather have that then an engine leak. Replacing the rack is easy :)

The good news is there are no MOTOR oil leaks.

The BAD news is......sigh.......it's the rack & pinion leaking. How do I know? The PS fluid is now on the low side and all other lubricant levels are staying steady.

RATS!!!

rack or pump leak??

try some trans-x power steering stop leak first. you have nothing to loose, it can't hurt, you plan on replacing the rack anyway and it is cheap. this is the same company whose transmission fix in a botle works on the 99 auto trans with delayed engagement of gears.

it worked great on my wife's 97 toyota avalon steering pump. i replaced the rack only to discover that the pump was leaking as well. the leak went from refill monthly to almost nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have tried the Lucas OIl PS stop leak. Only the smell has changed to a little differnet smell and has not stopped.

I did the pump suction o-ring a while back when it was apparently sucking air & cavitating. That worked like a charm and super cheap!

Power steering is really simple actually, nothing to it. I'd much rather do that than mess with oil pans, so what that tells me is you're way over qaulified for whatever this steering leak throws at you. Even if you have to swap racks it's super easy and Subaru steering racks very rarely fail which means used ones are dirt cheap.