Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't believe what these part stores want for a starter:eek:. $140.00 and up, plus a core charge woth more than I want to pay for my starter!!!! I called the parts store and they say they have the contact parts I will need, and I probabaly will have to have the armiture turned, but couldn't imagine it costing more than $50.00. Anyone else done this?? I've taken apart starters to change the good guts of a "same brand" starter to the housing of the same brand bad starter(the mountings were very different). It worked fine, and there really isn't much to a starter anyway. So I will either try to rebuild, or maybe try swapping housings, I have some older subaru starters, Thanks, Dann:grin:

Edited by plodder
Bad technical cofusion

I can't believe what these part stores want for a starter:eek:. $140.00 and up, plus a core charge woth more than I want to pay for my starter!!!! I called the parts store and they say they have the contact parts I will need, and I probabaly will have to have the armiture turned, but couldn't imagine it costing more than $50.00. Anyone else done this?? I've taken apart starters to change the good guts of a "same brand" starter to the housing of the same brand bad starter(the mountings were very different). It worked fine, and there really isn't much to a starter anyway. So I will either try to rebuild, or maybe try swapping housings, I have some older subaru starters, but I will need to make sure the regulator is the same? They do have internal voltage regulators right?? Thanks, Dann:grin:
Alternators have voltage regulators; I've never heard of one in the starter motor. Your best bet is to got to Smokey Point Pull a Part yard and grab one for your car. You pull it and pay around $25 plus a small core charge. You have 30 days to return it if it isn't any good. What model & year Subaru and is it automatic or manual tranny? I have a few automatic starters I'd like to get rid of.

Yeah, my starter is a manual, but, I maybe able to convert an auto to manual, what did you want for one? My starter worked fine, then(of course) my wife goes to use the car,and, shazzam, nothing, no click, nadda. So I tap the starter, and vroom, it cranks and starts like a champ. Pull a part in smokin point is fine if they have the part, but the subarus seem to be picked pretty quick, and it is about an hour from my place. So unless I do it when I coming home from a trucking run, then it is too far out of my way.

You should be able to find the contacts at an auto electric shop (starter/alternator rebuilder) or at a Subaru dealership. Maybe even Toyota, I believe they used the same starter too. Suggest you remove your old ones and take with you to visually compare--there are several different designs.

Here's an old thread that has some good pix:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58142&highlight=starter+contacts

Good luck.

mine has extremely worn and pitted contacts, still cranks good though but would intermittenly just not do anything. Can you buy those contacts anywhere?

Find an alt & starter rebuilder. I bought mine from one of them a few years back. There's also a rod with metal disk that bridge the two contacts. Some only clean it if it's not too much pitted. I replaced mine since it was not very costly. 20$ for contacts and plunger.

Hey Thanks! Napa parts says they have the contacts, I did not ask them about the rest, someone may have a starter to sell me for cheap, but I will rebuild this one regardless now, and keep a spare, they are small anyway. Thanks again.
I may have a working starter for you. Used, but working. Let me check and see what I have.