Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My OBW has 225k on it, and I just started to notice a little bit of play in the steering. Actually, it doesn't feel like play, and the car goes very straight down the road. But i can feel small bumps or ripples in the road pushing ever so slightly on the wheel as I go down the road. Anyway, I jacked it up and the left front has a tiny bit of play when pushing at 3 and 9 o'clock on the wheel. I am told it is either the inner or outer tie rod end.

The other side is solid as a rock. Should I just do the inner and outer on the one side, or do all of it at once. I am having this done by a shop if that matters.

Thanks

Check the boots on the steering rack, and the boots on the outer ends. If you find one cracked there's a good change that joint is the one that has failed.

You can also use a pry bar to lift up on the tie rod ends if there is any vertical movement then replace the end.

It would most likely cost less to replace the complete rack with a good used one. Lots of low mileage ones out there.

A good shop should be able to tell you if it's the inner or outer tie rod that is loose.

Replacing the rack is not a bad job.

the wheel had movement at 3 and 9 oclock? that sounds more like wheel bearing issue? but i assume there's no noise and you think it's tie rod? just checking, hard not seeing a car and all.

tie rods are easy to replace. hit the nuts a few times with penetrant before doing the job.

another possibility for the steering wheel feel is steering rack bushings, but this doesn't sound like your problem. though you might want to make sure the bushing looks good in the bracket holding the rack to the underneath of the car.

i have inner and outer tie rods if you want for a 97 Legacy, PM or email me if you want.

Thanks for the replies guys - i know nothing about front ends. It does seem to be, I think it I was told the inner tie rod end. I just figured if we were doing one, and paying for an alignment, I might as well do both ends on the drivers side, My question was should i do the other side of the car, even though it has no play. This had to be a quick decision because I had to order the parts and try to get all of this done today (one shop for the tie rod, one shop for the alignment) so my wife can take the car on the road next week. I decided to just do the drivers side, inner and outer, and the boot(s). There wasn't any discernible play anywhere else. If I can get it back today, I can get the snow tires on tomorrow and be good to go.

Thanks

yep, sounds good. tie rods on Subaru's rarely have issues and i've never seen or even heard of one failing. but it is quite a safety item so should you ever be inclined to do it that's not a bad idea either.

They dont fail in mortal mailes, but soobies are super human and they do get loose with age.

At 255,000 miles (I have 265) It can be ball joints, tie rod ends. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, I would just replace all of them (as they are all past their desgin life). I only have one original inner tie rod left on my car, everything else has been replaced over the years. If you are paying someone to do this, then have them inspect the front end first.

The biggest pita is the innner tie rods. All these parts are inexpensive off ebay (thats where I got mine).

nipper

Thanks all. The tie rods are done, the car is at the alignment shop, and I'll let you know how it feels when it comes out. I certainly hope the diagnosis was right - should be. The guy has done his fair share, and he was pretty certain about what was wrong. I have never worked on a front end in all my years, so I'm unfamiliar with it all. i should probably learn. All I know is that I was starting to feel a little play, which didn't surprise me. Our roads are not the smoothest either. I just didn't want my wife in any danger on the 300+ miles of no cell service road between here and her folks house in New Mexico.

Thanks

Thanks all. The tie rods are done, the car is at the alignment shop, and I'll let you know how it feels when it comes out. I certainly hope the diagnosis was right - should be. The guy has done his fair share, and he was pretty certain about what was wrong. I have never worked on a front end in all my years, so I'm unfamiliar with it all. i should probably learn. All I know is that I was starting to feel a little play, which didn't surprise me. Our roads are not the smoothest either. I just didn't want my wife in any danger on the 300+ miles of no cell service road between here and her folks house in New Mexico.

Thanks

cool.

Front ends on subaru are (technically) really easy to work on. The only hard part is getting them out of thier happy homes.

nipper