Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Swap Fuel Lines

jrettenmayer

Well...used the search function - several times - but can't find any info. I have an 86 GL that used to be a carbed wagon - the EJ22 is sitting in it's place now, and I'm working on hooking everything up. Where I'm at now is the fuel lines. I think I've sorted out what's what (the fuel-in is low, basically on the framerail, and the return line and EVAP line are just to the right of the brake master cylinder - EVAP is smaller and return line is larger, right?). I discovered the return line and EVAP lines are different sizes on the EJ22 and the EA82 (carbed) - just wondering what others have done to reconcile this difference? Hose clamps? other ideas?

For the return and evap lines I just used the apropiate sized line for the EJ ends and the used hose clamps on the EA ends (acutally I used hose clamps for all the lines but that is just me) and it worked fine. I have also ditched the charcoal canister and pluged the ends off with some vacuum plugs. But then again I don't have to go through emissions because my car is older. So if you have to go the emmissions you might want to keep the canister on.

D'oh! Thanks...

The sizes definitely aren't all the same though...maybe they are on the fuel injected cars, but the lines are different on the carbed GL. They are smaller I.D. than the EJ22 or the fuel injected EA with the 1.8L.

Part of my confusion I think is that (i suppose because it's the carbed version) there is no fuel filter under the hood - just a line from the fire wall. And...I noticed on another post that someone said the fuel-in line was on the framerail, so that's what I hooked it up to.

Anyone else have any opinions or know any better?

nevermind. sorry. just was working on my EJ-swapped loyale a few days ago. I forgot the carbed ones are the other way around. the supply line is down on the frame rail.....you were on the right track.

I put a '92 2.2 in an '86 EA82 carbed GL wagon last summer. zero mods. plugged in the fuel lines. I hooked the GL supply line to the impreza filter, and the return and vent lines are different sizes than each other.....but the same as the EA82. only change was fuel-injection clamps on all the supply lines, and the under-hood return lines.

Glad to hear I don't have the lines backwards...I spend a couple hours yesterday making a bracket to hold the fuel filter, which would have been pointless had I mixed the lines around!

The return line on my 86 GL is definitely smaller than the return line on the EJ motor (mine is from a '90 Legacy), so perhaps I should throw a hose clamp on that connection - I have the F.I. grade fuel line clamps turned all the way down and it is still a bit loose on the hardline at the firewall.

If you've got the opportunity to swap over to the EA82 EFI fuel lines & tank, you'd be better off, though the only difference I've found with the lines is that the carb return line is changed to a much bigger one so that the carb feed line becomes the EFI return & the replaced line is the EFI feed, so you really only "need" to change one line.

They are larger & the tank (well the Aus ones anyway) have an inbuilt swirlpot which helps with reducing pump starvation.

It's a bugger of a job though as you need to remove the dashboard & peel up the carpet.

Are the fuel lines still on the LHS of the car on the LHD models?

For us, the fuel lines run up behind the dashboard fan, which is even more hassle.