Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Battery Terminal Corrosion...

One of the Subaru repair shops out west claims this is a factor in the Ej25 head gasket failures, so I guess your head gasket is about to blow :lol::lol::-\

I remember reading that- theory was that the acid would build up on the engine and start eating the head-gasket from the outside-in.

Dave

• 1 month later...

My 99 Legacy wagon's batter terminals are totally corroded. I think even one of the connectors to the terminal is cracked from the corrosion.

Can you replace just the connectors that tie in to the cable, or do you have to replace the entire cable? I'd of course, replace the battery at the same time, but was curious how easy the cable end clamp (or full cable) replacement procedure is (not fully mechanically inclined, but like to try when I can).

thanks!

When the positive cable became corroded on my 96 Legacy, I decided to replace it with an even bigger gage cable (the biggest I could find). Not very expensive. It's maybe the freshly washed car syndrome, but I felt the starter had more pep after that. YMMV.

You can replace just the cable connectors, but I'd check the entire cable first. If it looks cracked in places and generally not so great, I'd replace the entire cable. Another thing is that the corrosion tends to travel down the cable from the connector given enough time. It depends on how bad the cables are corroded. As we cannot see your cables, you'll have to judge this yourself.

I've used the commercial corrosion protector spray with success. The trick is to make sure the entire connector and post are well cleaned before you use the goop. I think it's worth the money.

Another thing to remember with battery cables....just because they don't have the fluffy corrosion doesn't mean they aren't in need of cleaning. All it takes is the thin film that does develop to stop the transfer of juice. I found this out the hard way a long time ago with a Mazda we once has. The terminals looked ok, but there was nothing. After I cleaned them, everything was right as rain again. You could hardly see the film between the posts and terminals but it was there.

Thanks. I think with all the corrosion and me not knowing the history of the car, I may just replace the cables. Is this pretty easy to do for someone without too much car work experience? Is it pretty self explanatory? Meaning, unhook from the battery, find the other end and replace? That easy? :)

Thanks.

It's that easy! Just be sure the replacement cable is not too short...

Mine was a little longer than the original but that caused no problem.

Happy new year!

You rock, thanks!! I may just go to Autozone and pick up new battery cables, connectors and a battery and just feel better about things.

There is a lot of corrosion on the battery cover/brace. I'll clean that off well too. Sounds like I have my weekend planned. If I wasn't such a wussy, I'd attempt the valve cover gasket job, but I am a wussy. :)

IIRC, the battery cable came with both connectors already attached.

Maybe you could also pick up felt «doughnuts» that you put under both connectors to isolate them from the battery top.

Finish the job by smearing dielectric grease, vaseline or about any other kind of grease on the terminals. Then, you should be ok for a long time.