Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 GL turn signals

Yep, Check all the fuses. Thats what I do to find the culprit.

Now if it is a fuse, you need to ask you self "Why did it blow?" I would check any of the exposed wiring for the turn signals - to see if theres a slice in it causing it to ground out and blow the fuse.

-Tom :)

Ok, here is an update....there is no fuse; checked with Subaru. The signals started working intermittently and now they just stay lit with no flashing. A friend asked me if the flasher unit was just bad. I found 2 small silver cans under the dash behind the fuse box. One is supposed to be for the hazard lights. Is the other the flasher unit? I assumed 1 was for the front hazards and 1 for the rear but my friend said he has never heard of that.

yes - most cars have a separate flasher units for the hazard lights & the turn signals - they do not separate front and rear...

to determine which one is which, turn your hazards on (assuming they operate correctly) and feel the flasher units - you should be able to "feel" the clicking as the unit "flashes"

it is just simply a flasher unit. they are pretty much the same all over - even walmart sells them for just a buck or two.

there are the standard ones & heavy duty ones - you dont need a heavy duty unless you pull a trailer on a regular basis (running more signals than stock).