Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dealer mileage?

So I'm possibly looking for another gl wagon and finding the nicer ones I used to see for sale are few and far between. I've even checked out couple of used car dealers that have a Subaru or 2 and for some unknown reason they almost always have 50,000 or 70,000 miles less then what is available elsewhere?? Hmmm:confused:, just my suspicious thoughts! Jeff

That's because the one's that have high mileage DO get traded in but aren't resold on lots - they are sold at dealer auction's and typically get sold to the junk yards or auto recyclers that reman or resell various parts off them. Only the low mileage cars get put on lots for resale to the public - thus that's all you will see.

Look for a nice Legacy wagon. You won't be dissapointed.

GD

I've been think of going Legacy wagon but really need abit more ground clearance as I chase waves in Baja for a month or so each winter..so I guess with a leetle lift it would all be good? FWIW my well clapped out gl wagon has made it there AND back (the important part) for the last 4 years, but am starting to have my doubts...Jeff

Just upgrade to outback struts and springs. Get a gen 1 legacy wagon, fit up the OBW struts and springs and then some used 15" or 16" rims and your choice of tires. Easy. Find some place that does alignment's cheap.... instant Outback for peanuts.

Struts are cheap from a lot of aftermarket sources and the springs are only like $60 or $70 each from the dealer IIRC. Used springs aren't hard to find anymore either. I see a fair number of OB's at the yards these days. '96 through '99 mostly - usually well wrecked but you take what you can get.

GD

The nicer legacies are around $2000, but if you get ones that need a little work, you can get them for alot less... I just picked up a '90 wagon this summer for $500 -- put new struts and tires on it and gave it an oil change and took it on a 2000 mile road trip. I'm considering driving it down to Florida from CO now.

+1 on the Legacy wagons! got my LS for $200 with blown air struts - swapped it over to the standard coilovers, fixed the trashed exhaust - down the road we go!!:banana: a LOT more comfortable than the older GL's and more hp, too. (altho will always have a soft spot for the GL's - had mine for 10 years!)