Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sticky Speedo :D

It's not worth messing with the guts of the speedo. They are fiddly and plastic - you can probably change just the speedo if you really, really want to but you might as well just replace the whole cluster. Very few of them fail in this way so it's not likely you will have a problem with a junk yard replacement. And they are quick to change so no big deal if you do.

GD

:lol: What should i do about my mileage? I get to inherit the next cars mileage? hehe. So here is a question and chance for an upgrade, My loyale does not have the Voltmeter or oil pressure gauges. Can i swap in a cluster from one that does? Also interchangeability of Digi Dash? I found a Turbo loyale with what looks like a digi dash. Thanks GD as always!

I don't know if the VM or OP will work with the car - the wireing may or may not be there. Obviously the sending unit for the OP would have to be added and the wire connected or run if it's not present.

The digi-dash would require a complete rewire of the car. Several sending units are different and the wireing harness is totally different.

GD

I just fixed the same problem a couple of months ago. Replacing the speedometer was too much work, so I just did the whole cluster, $15.00 at the local junk yard.

The hardest part is putting the dash back together, they never seem to go back the way they came apart. To remount the heater controls was a real pain.

If you get the exact same one you took out, everything will just plug in easily.

I highly suggest replacing all of the light bulbs while you have it apart.

I also did not reuse the green plastic light bulb covers, this makes the dash lights brighter and easier to see.

As for the mileage, I did some research and found that it does not matter legally on a car that is more than 10 years old, Also when you sell the car, you can simply sign a statement that the speedometer does not reflect the actual mileage and you are covered.

I like to tell people now that I replaced the speedometer and lost almost 100,000 miles from the car. LOL

It's the same here - odometer disclosure is not required on 10+ year old vehicles. And frankly who's to say you would even know if it had been swapped prior to you owning it.....

BUT - carfax can still catch it if the car was sold when it was less than 10 years old and you lower the mileage to a point where it's less than what was on it back when it was sold.

Sometimes it's unavoidable - my GF's '86 lost 18k when I swapped the cluster - that was the closest I could find in the same style cluster.

GD