Ultimate Subaru Message Board

awful gas mileage in my legacy

loyalewcheese

hi i recently put outback stuts and bigger tires on my 92 legacy. I am getting 11 mpg combined mileage. that is not ok. I get 19 in my dodge diesel. do you think the blizzaks would effect it that much. my hope was a little more ground clearance, sometimes I beat the plows going up to stevens pass. The trip costs $20 now. Any suggestions?

It drives realy nicely with the lift and tires. I thought power would be an issue. But its not. Any thing would be helpfull.

Hi, I've got a 1995 Sub impreza wagon, with the 2.2 motor. I am runnin with a outback lift and 18inch rims. Dude, my car gets terrible gas mileage too. Maybe a 150 to 170 miles to the tank sometimes worse. Now that its winter I took the rims off and replaced them with 15 inch winter tires and installed a intake system, my car is runnin 220 to 240 miles to the full tank!!! Big diff..

nah, won't be the blizzacs.

that does sound terrible even with a lift and all that. my buddy is running outback struts and 16" WRX rims on his base EJ22 legacy sedan and i think he gets decent like 25mpg or something.

keep in mind - if you have larger tires you're traveling more miles than your odometer says, have you already figured that in? it wont' be much different but 10% higher possibly.

plugs, wires, air filter, and dragging brakes.

with every brake job make sure you properly grease the caliper slide pins and replace any boots that are even slightly cracked. i pulled a caliper off last week to work on something else and i had recently done a brake job, the caliper was very stuck in the pin eventhough i thoroughly grease the pins. the boots had a slight tear in it.

well i got a check engine light that came and went I had a loose connection on my cpc solenoid. so i tightened that up and replaced the o2 sensor, I had one laying around. i didn't think about the tire size difference. I went to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and used there calculator. I can add 7.5% to my crap mileage. so that's up to 12 ish. i will have to run another tank through and see. I am going up the pass on Monday. We will see. I just did a tune up, in anticipation of a winter of rallying up the pass. I will have to check the brakes next. thanks very much for the help.

o2 sensor.. I drove 194 miles on a little over a half tank. wierd that the check engine light didn't let me know.

The computer in those is not very sophisticated, it won't pick up a sluggish o2 sensor (One that is slow to respond to changing air/fuel conditions, but is still producing an in-range voltage signal). The newer (96+ OBD2) cars have a much more robust oxygen sensor monitor that monitors the performance of the sensor, but the older ones just look at the voltage coming off of the sensor, and if it's within range it won't set a code.

o2 sensor.. I drove 194 miles on a little over a half tank. wierd that the check engine light didn't let me know.
woah snap, thanks a bunch for the follow up. my XT6 is getting horrific gas mileage and while I bought a new sensor (but havent' replaced it yet) I didn't think that was the issue so I've been putting that off. I didn't think the O2 could make that much difference. A few mpg yes...but not that much. Maybe i'll get lucky.

• 1 month later...
Ha No o2 sensor plugged in on my 92 legacy turbo wagon once when I was having my exhaust done. It got 8mpg highway. It regularly does 22-27 now. I was actually watching the gas gauge go down pretty much constantly. It sucked!

sounds famiier, and i sold mine before replacing it.

bet the o2 sensor causes more problems with bad mpg than anything, yet the good old CEL never tells you that.

great electronic control units, they do us NO GOOD really when you think about it, even cause more harm than good sometimes, the older the car gets.

computers are dumb, ones and twos, they only care about them but dont know what to do with the numbers usually until someone develops a useful program to interpret them.

idiot light are for dummies anyhow. New cars wont even let you put the gas cap on, it will still give darn code to remove cap and reattach.

How many fricking cars made since 1905 wont run with the gas cap on, but not on right?

think about how much computers have hampered us.

back on topic i hope the gas mileage comes to a normalcy. report if it was the o2

Edited by bheinen74