Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear wheel not slipping when making a sharp turn

I have a high mileage 97 Outback Legacy wagon that’s has a problem with the rear wheel not slipping when making a sharp turn. It reminds me of the front wheels on a 4X4 truck when in four wheel drive making a sharp turn on dry pavement. Is this a rear differential problem or am I overlooking something else?

It is an automatic. When you say change the tranny fluid which I have never done. Do you mean the main transmision fluid and not differential fluid.

Yes, the ATF inside the transmission, not the differential.

But the front differential may need its fluid changed as well.

But the center differential is actually a clutch pack in this case, and the fluid

is not separate from the main transmission.

The solenoid activates the clutches in the back of the transmission and

sends power to the rear wheels, making the car AWD.

Also where is this solinoid located?

Thanks

The solenoid is located in the tail of the transmission housing, and may require

the transmission to be pulled to get to, I'm not sure, never done one.

But you may just need to change the fluid and you'll be ok.

Twitch

Search "torque bind" here... lots of info about it.

Drain tranny fluid... you'll get about a gallon out when you do so. Put a fresh gallon in. Run the car a little bit to cycle the fresh through. THen rinse and repeat. Do this two times at least first time out. Your tranny holds roughly 4 gallons (I think) but you can only drain a gallon at a time.

Also search "Trans X". It's a product some folks have had good luck with. "Accept no substitutes". Wal Mart carries it, I know. Pretty common stuff.

I haven't tried it yet but I'll probably be doing so.

I recently bought a '95 Legacy and have had some issue with torque bind. The tranny flush pretty much cleared it up.

It works for some, but not all. Again search the forums for "torque bind" ... you'll find many many threads addressing this topic.

Do a search for "Torque Bind". This is a very common problem and is generally caused by lack of transmission maintenance, uneven tire wear, improper inflation, or mismatched sizes/brands of tires.

Sometimes flushing the tranny several times will cure the problem, sometimes not. If not then it's probably going to need the transfer clutch assembly and duty-c solenoid replaced - this can be done without pulling the transmission but it's not a job for those that aren't mechanically inclined and have the tools/space to do it.

GD

Capacity is 8.8 quarts. So roughly 2.25 gallons.

GD

yikes!! Is that all?? I stand corrected....

You're right. My owner's manual says 8.3 but nonetheless, I was waaaay off.

"A tranny flush is four drain and fills. Sometimes it works sometimes it just delays the inevitable." This is from another thread... musta been what made me think 4 gallons.

Two gallon capacity?!! Wow.... I'll be dumping a gallon everytime I do an oil change!!

Edited by rainman19154