Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey XT6 guys...cybrid Q's

I'm entertaining the idea of installing the electric PS pump into my '86 GL, but would like to do it right, with the XT sensors. It could simply be done by running the pump at full duty...but I'd rather not. It draws more amps than the stock alternator, and is not meant to be run at 100%. I'd like to use my existing rack and steering column, but implement the XT pump, special juice, steering, and speed sensors. Feasible? I know the approximate location of the needed sensors, but it would be good to have more info and possibly pics! Thanks in advance for any help.

to mock up the XT6 system would require quite a bit of wiring as it has the pump, power controller, computer, and sensors.

you said you know where the speed sensor is - which does it use for the power steering input?

like john said you'll have to have an XT6 steering column or fit the apparatus fromt he XT6 to yours if it's possible.

It would be nice if the steering sensor just bolted right up to my column, but I'll just have to try it and see. At least I'd get the quicker ratio from the XT's...I just don't care to spend extra bucks for that. I got some great info on this system on pages 4-5 here: http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/steering/FtSteeringSystemsSp99.pdf

What I was calling the speed sensor, is the Signal Controller located in the left rear quarter panel somewhere. Wish those pics were a lot better! I'm hoping to use the existing speed sensor to feed it. I also have a ECU for a feedback carb that could possibly work?

Another thing that wouldn't work if the pump was run at full duty is the heater. The sensor for that is apparently right above the pump, but it works in conjunction with the signal controller. It's cold here!

I'll be headed to the yard today to pull parts...just not looking forward to doing it "blind". :confused:

• Like 1

Thanks, Gary...I won't bother with the heater, then. Didn't make it to the yard today, due to snow. Another thought is that if I only used the signal controller, I could trick it into thinking there is a constant signal from the steering sensor. It would not give me all the modes, but should kick down some at highway speeds?

the annoying thing about the steering sensor is that without it the power steering won't provide any assist. i'm forgetting how it works but i had one that was disconnected once and you essentially only had power steering at start up for 20 seconds...you can probably read how it works and get the jist.

maybe my memory will be better tomororw, i gotta go right now.

That looks right, but I mean to send a steering signal to the controller constantly, tricking it to thinking there is always steering input. I'm not sure yet what signal that is...prob just 12V power. Pics of what I need to pull would be helpful, but at least I have a general location to find the parts. Enough talk...we'll see if I git 'er done now. :grin:

oh yeah you're golden, tha'ts a good call. the steering responsiveness factor of the cybrid steering is really lame anyway. if there's really any speed sensitive adjustments i've never noticed it. but i've only owned 20 or 30 XT6's:lol::lol:

power controller is the black box to the drivers side of the pump.

there's also a power steering recall for the XT6 that only requires the installation of one wire. that runs a light blue wire out of an empty harness connector plug on the drivers side strut tower. not sure what that's all about but you might want to mark that pin out location and find out what it's for in the FSM so you can recreate that in your wiring. it'll be very obvious, a lone blue wire coming out of a connector running across the top of the fire wall orginating at the d/s strut top area.

you'll want the steering lines/hoses as well since they obviously differ. but like you already suspect/know the fitting ends are identical to other power steering set ups so it just screws right in....well at least on XT's, so I just assume other EA82's.

i woudln't worry about the pump heater, i've never needed it - gets down to negative 10 around here (well it's been colder than that but -10 is about as cold as i have experience driving in) and i've never noticed a difference.

i didnt even know there was a heater on these pumps. is it built in to the unit? if its built in, yours probably kicks in on its own when it needs it gary. ive had these apart to change brushes in them and stuff, never noticed a heater of any kind thou.... more info please :)

Still can't afford the parts, but at least I now know they're available. :banana:

The owner wants $60 for the pump and lines alone, is that reasonable? I may just get them and run it full-duty for now, as the steering sensor prob won't work on my existing column, and I'd have to do some serious "landscaping" to even get to the rear quarter panel for the speed sensor. It didn't appear to be inside the trunk. :confused:

On another note, would it be possible to use a switch with multiple settings and resistors, like the heater fan, to control the pump duty's? That would get annoying in traffic, but it could always just be left on one of the mid-settings.

Thanks for all the help, 'specially Gary!

P.S: This is a VERY complete XT6, and anyone needing parts can get them from me for just a little labor $. The owners prices are so-so, but just pm me and I'll get you a price. Patience required!!!