Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suby service in Norwalk, Conn.?

Darling daughter is leaving her mountain lifestyle for a job in Norwalk, Conn. for a year, driving her 2003 LL Bean. I am doing the 120,000 recommended services myself before she leaves, and we would love to find someone in Norwalk known to be honest, reasonable, reliable, etc. to be her Suby guru. Thanks for any suggestions!

we have folks from this board in Connecticut...

But you'd probably do well to get the timing belt done on that before she leaves... has it ever been done? If not, you're certainly due.

Search here for more info... most would include assorted tensioners, pulley, water pump, perhaps even some seals.

Cover many bases now and you're golden for a long long while.

Not a guru but I live about 10 minutes away. Not much of a wrencher but I know enough not to get hammered by a mechanic. It's very civilized here but the prices are going to be steeper than out west so get your daughter's wheels in order and point her east. She'll be an hour train ride from NYC. No need to drive in and deal with all that. 2.5 hours by car to Boston. Norwalk is by the shore and a great place in the summer. I know you said something about a job but there is life after work and Conn. is a great place to live. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that when they have the Norwalk oyster festival, they serve real oysters and not the Rocky Mountain variety:eek:

Send me a PM if you have any concerns.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the reply. She'll be working for the FASB, maybe not driving too much except to go skiing if she wants to sample eastern skiing after growing up with the "greatest snow on earth" in Utah. Would still like a lead on a good independent subie mechanic. I've done all necessary service, I hope, so maybe she won't need anything except OC's and an air conditioning tuneup in the spring. Thanks Brus--anyone else?

Thanks! The 03 Bean made it through all the weather from SLC to Norwalk in two days, no problem, hallelujah! Only thing I couldn't do before she left were the spark plugs, a PITA I knew better than to attempt, for a change. Still wondering about independents [familiar with H3] in Norwalk area, no offense to dealers, just too expensive.

OK Michael, details?

How many miles since the plugs were done?

Hate to admit it but it is one of those things that I haven't done since... well... anyway, what is the recommended interval on the H3 for plugs and when did you do them last?

You may well decide to await her return west OR drive out here and do them yourself...

120,000 miles seems like you are just breaking in a Subaru.

Glad to hear the trip east went well.

We are expecting an inch of snow here tonight :eek:

With your daughter's SLC experience, I think she can handle our east coast conditions.

Be forewarned, if she stays here too long, before you know it, she'll have a stubborn New England accent and that is harder to change than old spark plugs:lol: