Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:confused:so I am getting this mysteries thumping sound from my front driver side corner, I look under neath the car and dont see anything wrong, I got new tires and had them balanced on the inside. replaced the CV joints and ball joint got an aliment. nothing loose or damaged. the CV boots are not torn.

I can hear and feel the thumping sound from the driver side front corner...

could a unbalanced wheel cause the thumping?

Help:confused:

Sounds like a worn cv joint. Which side or sides did you have replaced, what brand of parts did you use, and were they brand new or re-manufactured axles?

Unbalanced tires don't generally make noise or shake until the car is rolling 35-40mph or higher. If this is from a dead stop I'd say it's either a CV joint or a U joint or carrier bearing/bushing.

Lots of variables here:

When they replaced the CV joints ... were they replaced with genuine Subaru parts or one of the other "acceptable" makers?

Does the thumping happen:

when going over bumps?

when turning and going over bumps?

I had a similar problem that was related to steering rack in my 2000 Legacy where the PS fluid was causing a hydraulic knock. Eventually SOA designed a damper into the system.

What year and model is your car? Sorry if I missed this info.