Ultimate Subaru Message Board

have '99 2.2 liter legacy wagon with 170,000 mi. Have been using 10-30 oil.

Recently noticed clicking valve sound for first few minutes of driving at beginning of day. Also a slight miss when first starting.

Should I try an additive like Sea Foam or Marvel?

Noticed on one blog that some 2.2 liters had problem with valve guides dropping to cause sticking.

My 97 2.2 clicks away in the morning when it is cold out for 2 to 3 miles then goes away. It has been this way for 70K miles. I would not try any additive.

+1 ^...my 96 does this also...weak HLA(s) I'm sure...but its been like this forever...no significant problems yet...

a tapping sound at start up that goes away when warm is commonly due to piston slap. EJ engines are very prone to this - mostly EJ25's and sometimes EJ22's. it is completely benign and doesn't effect anything, just turn the radio up and keep your windows closed!

if it diminishes after warming up and stays constant i would guess it's piston slap. if it's more variable than that then i'd guess HLA's.

subaru has a redesigned piston to alleviate piston slap it but it's hardly worth the time considering the problem doesn't affect anything except maybe sanity if you're not able to withstand the sound. :lol:

have '99 2.2 liter legacy wagon with 170,000 mi. Have been using 10-30 oil.

Recently noticed clicking valve sound for first few minutes of driving at beginning of day. Also a slight miss when first starting.

Should I try an additive like Sea Foam or Marvel?

Noticed on one blog that some 2.2 liters had problem with valve guides dropping to cause sticking.

Part of the problem is that it is so cold. Even the 10-30 can experience this. The oil is too thick at start up when it is so cold. Kind of like pouring molasses through a straw. Try a lighter weight oil after a small amount of seafoam. Otherwise, it may be that the oil passages in the rockers are getting clogged and can not get enough oil through them. This can cause premature failure in the HLA's. I know of a source if you find they are bad.