Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Took out heater core, flushed, still ZERO heat!

Well, I got the mouse NESTS out of my new 86 wagon. All cleaned up. Before I pulled it apart I didnt really test for heat. Hard to do when the whole system smells like mouse crap:mad:. Any way, I searched and searched before I did the work, found great tips. All the flaps work. Temp selector works. No heat. While I had it apart I used the hose to flush back and forth through the core. It seem to flow fine. Didnt get alot of stuff out. I used vinegar and let it set for 6 hours or so. Flushed it again. Now all installed both hoses were hot. Im going to try switching the hoses and flushing the system. If that doesnt work then drano. My question is how much flow should I see and how close should the temps be on the heater hoses going to the core.

Thanks

Mike

Check where the cable runs down along the drivers side of center console. It Operates the blends door. There is a plastic bevel gear there that can slip a few teeth and cause the blend door to not fully close.

Not uber common, but I've seen it a few times. Good thing to check, espescially if you have already flushed.

That actually makes sense. Now that everything is installed, my temp selector doesnt go all the way down into the cool zone. So the converse should also be true. That when the dash lever hits the stopper on the hot zone the blender may actually still be blending in cold air. Ill check it out

\:banana:

Thanks

Mike

The little cables don't make it through 20 yrs of sitting really well especially the push and pull variety. Double check those, there are two i believe and one is a pita and ends right above your gas petal. I have to reach under to shove mine to hot if anyone touches the hot cold control. The holders suck and the housing cracks. If you look inside the airbox you can see the flapper door not closing all the way. If its blockage or the fan I'm sure you would have figured that out.

May have air in it.

I know after I did my engine swap and flushed and refilled it I still have close to no heat. (It used to cook me out)

And can hear air bubbles "slurping" (I guess you could call it that) through the hoses and core. Still figuring out how to get them out of there.

I have my radiator topped up but there is still air not wanting to work it's way out. And basicly keeping the hot coolant from the core or something.

One guy told me on his he picked up the front of the car with a forklift and ran the car to get the air to go up to the radiator.

Said it worked, but I don't have a forklift.

I'm sure there is a simpler way a Guru proly knows about. :)

I'm thinking one ot those flush kit "T" fittings in the upper heater hose at the firewall and let air out there.... I don't know, still need to think about it some.

Well Im getting a little bit of heat out of the floor ducts. But by the time it reaches the windshield it is cold. I cant tell it the radiator hoses are hotter than the heater core hoses. And the two heater core hoses feel really close in temp. Could it be the thermostat not letting it warm up enough. The gage doesnt get any higher than my gold loyale and that car doesnt have any heat problem. I swapped the hoses and will see if that helps.

Thanks

Mike

May have air in it.

I know after I did my engine swap and flushed and refilled it I still have close to no heat. (It used to cook me out)

And can hear air bubbles "slurping" (I guess you could call it that) through the hoses and core. Still figuring out how to get them out of there.

I have my radiator topped up but there is still air not wanting to work it's way out. And basicly keeping the hot coolant from the core or something.

One guy told me on his he picked up the front of the car with a forklift and ran the car to get the air to go up to the radiator.

Said it worked, but I don't have a forklift.

I'm sure there is a simpler way a Guru proly knows about. :)

I'm thinking one ot those flush kit "T" fittings in the upper heater hose at the firewall and let air out there.... I don't know, still need to think about it some.

With the cap off, squeeze the upper rad. and heater hoses to get out most of the air. You can also park nose up on a steep hill and run it, but that's never worked for me...seems to build up pressure and just dribbles water instead of air. Check your water regularly, and if any is missing at all, it may be a blown headgasket. Mine does that, and has never had water in the oil.

This morning I went out and un-hooked the cable that pulls the temperatur flap. I noticed that the arm moved a little further than the cable could alow it. So following an earlier post I unscrewed the gear connected to the cable and move the flap on its own. Wala, the flap wasnt able to close all the way. So I put it back together and I have decent heat. :banana: Still not really hot, but certainly enough to defrost the windows and keep me warm. I still think I will replace the thermostat just to be sure. Who has the best prices on OEM thermostats?

Thanks

Mike

With the cap off, squeeze the upper rad. and heater hoses to get out most of the air. You can also park nose up on a steep hill and run it, but that's never worked for me...seems to build up pressure and just dribbles water instead of air. Check your water regularly, and if any is missing at all, it may be a blown headgasket. Mine does that, and has never had water in the oil.

Cool. :)

I'll try that. Never loses any coolant just sounds like bubbles pumping around in the core/heater hoses and not much heat.

Got a new thermostat and such all worked fine before I drained it and refilled it.