Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 Impreza Lx wagon 4x4 with the 2.2 engine. I would like to know if I could put a 2.5 from an 96 4x4 Outback wagon in mine without any problems. What all would have to be changed such as would my trans mount up and would I have to chang wiring or the computer box ??? Any of you guys done this before ?? thanks :rolleyes:

I have a 95 Impreza Lx wagon 4x4 with the 2.2 engine. I would like to know if I could put a 2.5 from an 96 4x4 Outback wagon in mine without any problems. What all would have to be changed such as would my trans mount up and would I have to chang wiring or the computer box ??? Any of you guys done this before ?? thanks :rolleyes:

The 95 LX is probably the best candidate for this swap. The TPS(throttle position sensor) plugs match up as well as the harness should too. The computer will manage the engine just fine. Yes, the trans will hold up fine as well.

search - this swap is done all the time, though like he said most are going the other way. all of that info will apply to you.

you don't touch the wiring/computer, it's easy, you ignore all of that.

that being said - i'd replace the headgaskets in or carefully inspect the EJ25 being installed first - just type in "Subaru headgasket" to your favorite search engine to see why.

you don't mention auto verses manual but if yours is a manual trans then you'll have EGR issues. engine will swap and run just fine but the EJ25 will have EGR where a manual EJ22 does not. car will run just fine you'll just need to ignore the check engine light (doesn't matter in our state) and make a block off plate.

in 95 EJ22 auto's have EGR so that would be a straight up swap.

you'll also be going from a noninterference engine to an inteference engine. this means if the timing belt breaks on the EJ25 you'll sustain internal engine damage (not so with your 95 EJ22) - best to replace all the timing components on it before installing - belt, pulleys and tensioner (runs $200+) and water pump too.

OK...I may take a 'hit' for this comment, but I thought the '95 Impreza was OBD1/OBDI and all the EJ25 were in OBD2/OBDII cars '96-'99.

Wouldn't the intake/engine connectors be different?

I know the '95 Legacy was OBD2 (although I've heard otherwise, but haven't seen one yet), but not the Impreza. If it has the OBD2 connector under a little plastic cover on the driver's side dash (@ least on Legacys), you're good to go.

Just thought you should double-check.

Scangauge_install2

OK...I may take a 'hit' for this comment, but I thought the '95 Impreza was OBD1/OBDI and all the EJ25 were in OBD2/OBDII cars '96-'99.

Wouldn't the intake/engine connectors be different?

I know the '95 Legacy was OBD2 (although I've heard otherwise, but haven't seen one yet), but not the Impreza. If it has the OBD2 connector under a little plastic cover on the driver's side dash (@ least on Legacys), you're good to go.

Just thought you should double-check.

Scangauge_install2

Good thinkin. Apparently some had OBD1 and some had 2. That may complicate things a little but it's possible to work around it. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30955