Ultimate Subaru Message Board

07 outback battery very low,

Same battery it came with, I work from home and only drive it to go and pick up my son from the babby sitters about 1 mile away on town roads, So it is in the garage the rest of the time. but when I go to start it it grumbles a bit but starts and all the settings are gone.

Very annoying, but thinking the battery may be on its last legs or I just do not drive it enought to "charge" it????

any thoughts??

If the battery is indeed 9 years old, you are lucky. But the answers already given about an inadequate charge is my guess too.

I have no idea where I came up with the 9 years old, I apologize for that mistake.

Edited by valvestem
made mistake

well it is not 9 years old, 2007 and I bought the car with the same battery in it from the dealer so say two years.

Now just wondering if the same thing will happen with a new battery? butnow tha tI have more time I have been able to drive it more to trail heads and such but it is still doing the same thing.

Edited by Johley8

I'd try inspecting and cleaning all connections first. Good idea to actually put a Voltmeter on the battery too, and watch the volts at startup. Best to confirm that the battery is bad......3 years is not that old for a Battery.

If it is starting the car, but losing radio presets, then there is a bad connection.....probably the Positive battery cable where it bolts to the actual clamp.

Clean it all up good and see if that changes the behavior.

Thanks f or the help

I have cleaned the battery up pretty good, using hte baking soda method as there was a large amount of cor. on the pos term, then scrubbed the connection and terms with a wire brush.

Did you unbolt the main pos(+) cable and fuse box pigtail, and clean the connection there? Not the post......but where the wires actually attach to the clamp?

:-\So doyou guys think maybe charging it fully then getting a tender may help. Granted after having it tested.......again.

Guy at Carquest(sucks), tested it and said it was dead then said here let me put a new one in, after he hooked up the tester backwards the first time........

Edited by Johley8

put some miles on it two miles a day is doing more damage than driving in stop and go traffic in rush hour 30,000 miles. A vehicle likes to get in full operating temp and get out of the house

Edited by bobaru

put some miles on it two miles a day is doing more damage than driving in stop and go traffic in rush hour 30 miles. A vehicle likes to get in full operating temp and get out of the house

I'm told it takes 20 miles of driving to "burn" off the condensation in the crank case.

I think you should try charging it up to see if that helps. I think it will. Having a battery charger on hand is a good thing to have anyways. If the car starts up better after charging it for a least a few hours I think you will be good to go. You could have it tested if you want to.

• 2 months later...

Ok update here on the issue, sorry it is so late!

got a tender for it after driving to Grand Junction, so that should have charged it and after hooking the tender up maybe once twice a week, bingo, no more issues!

But I was wanting to get the yellowtop:slobber:, but wife said no:( bummer

But many thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...