Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA trans to EJ Motor

Hi guys, got a question for you. Will the EJ 2.2 motor bolt up to the Auto trans of the EA82 1986 car? This would be used in a Trike build so no problem with sensors of other wiring issues or fitment problems.

What needs to be done to make them work together?

Thanks, Bob

I do not think anyone has done that yet because the EA81/EA82 3-speed automatics had enough problems with the far less powerful EA81/EA82 engines. There are adapter plates that are intended for mating a EJ22 to an EA82 manual transmission but since this is for a trike you probably will need an automatic. If there's enough room on your trike, a 2wd 4EAT, 4-speed automatic, from a 90-95 Legacy or 93-95 Impreza would be a better option.

No, it won't bolt up.

You need an adapter plate. Since EA82 engines/trans are all interchangeable and identical from a "bolt up" stand point, then what you're asking has been done countless times for a long time and well documented using adapter plates. try searching for "adapter plate" if that's what you're after.

If you try to make something custom, the bottom studs line up the same, and the pilot hole (in a manual) lines up the same.

The adapter plate needs to be 12mm (or 1/2")thick to make up the difference in the EJ22 bellhousing vs the ea82 motor.

I would imagine the ej22 flex plate would bolt to the ea82 torque converter the same. use the ea82 starter

Thanks guys for your responses to my questions. I kind of figured it wasn't going to work without an adapter. This info is for a friend of mine who already has a left over EA82 trans that he wants to use just because he has it and it was a freebee. So he might just go ahead and stay with the Ea82 motor, but he has been interested in the EJ22 with the mods to Dist and carb for the extra 400cc's it would bring to the project, but it might not be worth the extra problems it will take to mate them up. We'll just have to wait and see.

No, it won't bolt up.

You need an adapter plate. Since EA82 engines/trans are all interchangeable and identical from a "bolt up" stand point, then what you're asking has been done countless times for a long time and well documented using adapter plates. try searching for "adapter plate" if that's what you're after.

Has been done countless times with a manual trans. The automatic involves a whole new set of problems. Using a 4EAT from a Legacy as mentioned above is the answer.