Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires

Ok I have 2 86 wagons one is 4wd the other is 2. One has steelie rims the other has the older subaru rims with the white spokes. I thought I could just switch them over from one vehicle to the other. but....When I went to do so the older rims rub on the 4wd making it shake and wobble even under 5mph..What is up? The steelies however can be swapped from one car to the next. Is this a difference between the 4wd and 2wd rims or did someone do somthing aftermarket to it (the 4wd) ? Has anyone else had this problem? Just curious and a little bummed......i sure like the look of the older rims better...

Hmmh. that's weird. If they're earlier white spokes they might not be clearing the front brake calipers. But you think that would be clear. If the calipers are ground down a bit or have short pads on the 4wd car then they'd be clearing the caliper on this car. Only possible thing i can think of... still unlikely.

They ran great on the origional cars... I think they are hitting the front Brakes.. on the 4wd.. but they clear it on the 2wd... The rear tires are no problem just the fronts. I was shocked they LOOK like they fit.. until you drive you can see where the rims ground down the brakes calipers on the front...Both sides...Rubs pretty bad I drove it maybe 200 feet.. and there is a 1/4 inch wide groove where it hit. about 1/16 deep. (car came with steelies that work fine with it ) I thought they were interchageable too..The car does have new brakes do the old rims fit on the newer cars? maybe someone put a non standard caliper on???? Car ran awsome with the steelie rims..

there are 2 styles of spoke rim, between ea82 and ea81. The ea81 spokes come all the way to the rim, where as the ea82 spokes round out into a triangle stamping that has a n edge where it meets the rim.

the ea81 rims on ea82's will have caliper clearance issues on 4wd models. you can simply grind off about a millimeter on the edge of the caliper and be good to go

there are 2 styles of spoke rim, between ea82 and ea81. The ea81 spokes come all the way to the rim, where as the ea82 spokes round out into a triangle stamping that has a n edge where it meets the rim.

the ea81 rims on ea82's will have caliper clearance issues on 4wd models. you can simply grind off about a millimeter on the edge of the caliper and be good to go

Yeah, I found this out as well, when I swapped the white spoke rims from my '82 wagon onto my '89 wagon... if the brakes are worn down they'll clear the calipers, but not if you have new brake pads on there... that could be the difference between the two cars, it's so close. There's also two styles of stamped steel rims, and the EA81 style has the same clearance issue with the front calipers of the EA82 brakes...

Yeah, I found this out as well, when I swapped the white spoke rims from my '82 wagon onto my '89 wagon... if the brakes are worn down they'll clear the calipers, but not if you have new brake pads on there... that could be the difference between the two cars, it's so close. There's also two styles of stamped steel rims, and the EA81 style has the same clearance issue with the front calipers of the EA82 brakes...

The pad thickness has to b e the difference for the OP here. EA82 Front ends (brakes, bearing, suspension) are identical 4wd or 2wd so really the only reson those wheels are fitting either car is because one has worn down brakes.

Well the 86 2wd Has older BRAKES.. but they work good the 4wd has NEW brakes. the 2wd the tires fit with lots of clearence. Is it possible that the 2wd still had the older style brake system? (didn't the EA 81 stuff come out in 85 When did the rims change? 85?) Or maybe the last owner ground down the calipers when he redid the brakes? or put the older style calipers/ brakes on?? The brakes do have lots of pad left... I am not sure when they were last changed as I have only owned it less then a year. Maybe I will never know.

Thank you for the info on the rim differences.... not sure yet wether I will grind down the calipers or just swap back... GRR.

EA81 and EA82 front brakes are not interchangable. The difference is in the thick pads on the one with newer brakes.

Really, you should get soem new rims......cause next time you have to put new pads on the 2wd, then the wheels won't fit.

Grinding the caliper would work......I did it on a Honda CRX I upgraded to Integra disc brakes......13's were still a tight fit.

yes I think I will be looking for new rims. I would hate to grind them down everytime I do the brakes..... unfortunalty it has new tires. any one looking for some EA 81 rims? willing to swap...

P.S. I wasn't saying it was not the pads.. I think it was I was just trying to think through all the maybe possiblities.. after I wrote that I got to thinking I might have made it sound like I was not hearing you...I really think it is the pad.

The unfitting rims do fit the last owner did some swapping of parts on this (little frustrated) and we have had to redo almost everything he has done... we have had more issues with this 2wd. then I care to mention.....he did the weber swap and did not cover the water port in the carb... so we had water in the intake for a while ...GRR..