Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBW spark plug question

First post to the board!

I've got a 98 OBW and I need to know the difference between the platinum vs copper NGK plugs.

The book/dealer calls for the PFR5B-11 (NGK platinum) plugs @ $17/ea ($CDN) :eek:

Cheapest I can find online is ~$12 ($US) + freight.

What is the difference between the PFR5B-11 and a regular PFR5B (no wide gap number)?

Can I use these and just gap them to factory spec (0.039-0.043")?

Is there a difference, other than life expectency, between the PFR5B-11 platinum and the equivalent NGK coppers?

What plug would that be, a BKR5B-11 or what?

I'm a fan of platinums & have used them for years in other cars/trucks including my first Suby, an '83 Loyale 4wd.

I just can't stomach $68 for a set of plugs!

Help!

Vic

I know I am a heretic here for not saying to use NGK plugs only.

I installed Bosch Platinum, their cheapest ones with a single anode, about two years ago in my 99 OBW, and they continue to perform just fine after 25K miles of driving. Cost was maybe $2-3/each per plug.

The nasty part is ahead of you, when it come time to install the plugs. Search this forum for plug installation for details.

So here's the info I got from http://www.ngk.com. These are the plugs they recommend for the 98, same for all 96-99. (Ignoring the Iridium, for now)

Does anyone know what/if there's any performance difference between the Double platinum & the GP platinum?

Likewise, between the Trad & V-Power coppers?

And the original question, is there a performance diff between the platinums & coppers? (prices are NGK's $US)

Bottom line is I change plugs 1x or 2x a year, if I know that they are working properly - even with a skinned knuckle or two :)

Vic

Spark Plugs

NGK Double Platinum PFR5B-11 .044" DOHC $12.06 Subaru manual/dealer suggested plugs

NGK IX iridium BKR5EIX-11 .044" DOHC $7.83

NGK Laser Iridium Long Life IFR5E-11 .044" DOHC $12.06

NGK GP platinum BKR5EGP .044" DOHC $3.15

NGK Traditional spark plug BKR5ES-11 .044" DOHC $2.89

NGK V-power spark plug BKR5E-11 .044" DOHC $2.89

I know I am a heretic here for not saying to use NGK plugs only.

I installed Bosch Platinum, their cheapest ones with a single anode, about two years ago in my 99 OBW, and they continue to perform just fine after 25K miles of driving. Cost was maybe $2-3/each per plug.

The nasty part is ahead of you, when it come time to install the plugs. Search this forum for plug installation for details.

I've used Bosch plat's before - they were great on my slightly modified '73 Datsun 510, but like you said, there's a bunch of folks here who aren't fans of using them in the Suby & if the NGK's are about the same $, are available & recommended, I'll go with them.

Especially if it means not changing out a bum set of plugs and saving my knuckles in the process ... yes, that means I've scanned the forum for info on changing plugs ;)

Vic

I don't know what the part numbers are, but I have twice now gone to Parts Source and installed the NGK plugs from them in my 99 legacy without a problem. They are set to the proper gap and cost $5.00 each. Worth looking at.

Were they the Platinums or the Coppers?

Vic

I'm by no means an expert, but I went through the whole spark plug change ordeal not long ago with a 98 OBW I got a couple months ago. The plugs I pulled out of it were the NGK's double platinums, the $12 ones. They were completely worn out. I posted some pictures on here, but just too tired to search for my old posts now. I replaced them with single platinums that were $3 each at autozone. No problems so far, the car runs great for a car this age with ~200k. And the way those plugs looked, I really don't think they last any longer than single platinums, despite costing 4x as much. Heck, if you wanna pay $12/plug, you may as well buy the Pulstars. I heard they work well, and really do improve mileage. And Pep Boys often has coupons on their web site that would knock $5-10 off a $50 purchase.

The only thing I found out about platinum is that it doesn't work well with nitrogen in the gasoline. Read somewhere that it corrodes platinum. And apparently Shell now enriches its gas with nitrogen. I'm not about to switch to other brand just because Shell Premium lasts longer than any other in my car, and I've tried them all. But if I were to change my plugs again, would probably go with the $6 NGK Iridium just in case.

As far as what platinum and iridium do, it is my understanding that they expand and contract in a way that sheds build up and they are more resistant to wear.

Now as a disclaimer, I'm not a pro, and if somebody with more experience corrects me, they're probably right. :grin:

So here's the info I got from http://www.ngk.com. These are the plugs they recommend for the 98, same for all 96-99. (Ignoring the Iridium, for now)

Does anyone know what/if there's any performance difference between the Double platinum & the GP platinum?

Likewise, between the Trad & V-Power coppers?

And the original question, is there a performance diff between the platinums & coppers? (prices are NGK's $US)

Bottom line is I change plugs 1x or 2x a year, if I know that they are working properly - even with a skinned knuckle or two :)

Vic

Spark Plugs

NGK Double Platinum PFR5B-11 .044" DOHC $12.06 Subaru manual/dealer suggested plugs

NGK IX iridium BKR5EIX-11 .044" DOHC $7.83

NGK Laser Iridium Long Life IFR5E-11 .044" DOHC $12.06

NGK GP platinum BKR5EGP .044" DOHC $3.15

NGK Traditional spark plug BKR5ES-11 .044" DOHC $2.89

NGK V-power spark plug BKR5E-11 .044" DOHC $2.89

Thanks Kwhistle,

After reading all the posts about using the right plugs, I was a bit skittish about using the regular plat's instead of the big buck ones. Glad to know someone has used them with no problems.

Considering they aren't that much more expensive than the coppers, I think I'll be giving them a try.

Vic

If you go one plug hotter, a 6 instead of 5, I've been told they will work better in high mileage cars where compression may be down slightly.

Thanks, that's a good thing to keep in mind & I hadn't thought of it. At 325,000km, I suppose it qualifies as high mileage ;)

Vic

After all this talk about plugs I decided to change mine again as well. I use the NGK GP BKR5EGP platinum plugs. I know that manufacturers like to claim that using their fancy expensive plugs will give you better fuel economy and more power, but really, let's be honest here. My Legacy has over 380,000 kms. The only thing that is going to make a difference at this point is a new engine. Besides, unless you are going to go to the trouble to index the plugs to maximize the spark position-to-fuel injector angle, the results will be negligible, if any. Run with a set of inexpensive, reliable plugs and save the pulstars for your next STi.:)

..l. I use the NGK GP BKR5EGP platinum plugs...

I see you're from Belleville, ON, where did you find the plugs - specialty shop, chain store, online?

I live in the middle of nowhere, about 3.5hrs drive west of Calgary, AB so I have fun getting parts in my area. Any help finding a ~reasonably~ priced parts source would be appreciated.

Vic

I bought mine at Part Source. I believe they are an off-shoot of Canadian Tire though. I know CT carries this same line of plugs. I noticed you were in the mountains, figured you might have a hard time with selection. Is there a CT close by?

Actually, of all the chains, CT is the easiest to find. I've got two within 1/2hr-45mins drive (Fernie & Cranbrook). Also there are NAPA's & Bumper to Bumpers, but none of the other chains.

Either way, they all have very poor stock outside of the typical - Ford, GMC, Mopar + standard apps for European & Asian cars. Anything else is special order :(

I'm close to the US border, so I can go down to Montana and hit the Carquest & NAPA or drive a bit further (+1hr) and go to Kalispell and have a very good selection.

Vic

I ordered the NGK GP BKR5EGP platinum plugs and a set of NGK FX50 plug wires online, they should be in next week or so.

The best price I found, including shipping, was $67 from a place in California, RockAuto. I'm getting them shipped to Montana & I'll pick them up.

A couple of other places actually had a bit better prices (~$5-10), but they wouldn't accept CDN credit cards on the website or by phone :(

Looking forward to busting a few knuckles when the parts get here :lol:

Thanks for the help,

Vic