Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I drove to Snowshoe WV this week with my H6 VDC OBW, on the way down

I79 my idler pulley let go and broke the alt. belt., fortunately I was only a couple miles from the Subaru dealer in Bridgeport WV. Cost me $226.00 and they didn't even have a Subaru belt, had to get one from Napa.

Anyhow, on my way back from Snowshoe the temp needle started creeping up to over 2/3 of way on the gauge, (half way between the 2 upper white marks on the gauge). It would only do it on a hill pull and then level back down to half way on an incline. What are my chances this is a water pump going bad?, I'm hoping its a thermostat or radiator needing a good flush and cleaning. The H6 looks like a bear to replace a water pump on.

Uh yeah, water pump means pulling the timing *chain*, not fun.

I'm thinking when the pulley/belt cut loose it probably clipped a hose and caused a leak. Would be odd to have two failures like this so close to each other, my guess is they're related.

Have you checked the coolant level? Be sure to use the proper fluid since the water pump is so inaccessible.

Idler pulley issues are common on the H6. You probalby know already since i see you on the outback forum but a lot of people are replacing both of them as prevenative maintenance. They're easily replaceable in any garage. There are two pulleys, i'd repair the other one now. It didn't even take 30 minutes to remove them, knock the old bearings out and install the new bearings which cost like $3. There's a really good thread about those on subaruoutback.org.

Have you checked the coolant level? Be sure to use the proper fluid since the water pump is so inaccessible.

I did stop and check a few times coming home that there was antifreeze in the overflow tank and that there were no leaks dripping from under the car.

At times it acted like the thermostat wasn't working right as the temp would spike upward and then drop back, even underload.....

I will look things over better tomorrow, skied 4 days, I'm beat, just glad it made it home without overheating.....

I dont think the belt broke at full speed, I had stopped at the Rest Stop and when I got back in and started the car, I noticed the warning lights on. I also just ckecked the antifreeze level in the radiator, it was clear full and the overflow was at the correct cold level mark.

check for leaves or snow on the radiator/condenser, or in between them.

check the fans, are both working, especially when warm? check the wiring connectors.

any recent work done?

Just the idle pulley as mention in the original post, both fans are working.

Changed the thermostat with one from Autozone, seem to be rock steady with the temp needle at half way. Took it out for a 20 min. run after it warmed up, including a good hill run. Sure glad it wasn't the pump. The old thermostat had some corrosion on it.

Your going to hate me. Get one from OE and do it again. Come summer you will be running hot. there ios a vast differnce between OE and stant t-stats.

nipper

Since there were no dealers open till Monday, I bought the Autozone thermostat last night on the way home, but they didn't have the gasket, so went to Napa this morning and bought the gasket and a Napa thermostat. However the Napa thermostat didn't have the vent hole like the one that was on the car and the Autozone one did. I'm going to change the antifreeze, so will get the Subaru stuff then.