Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering rack lash adjustment

1995 subaru legacy with slop in the steering. I've done the lash adjustment on another 95 subaru, but the rack was out of the vehicle. I used a crescent wrench. This time I'd rather leave the rack in the vehicle, anyone know what size wrench goes on the outer nut? Its gotta be like 30mm. There's not much room, is it possible to adjust the lash with it in the vehicle?

I haven't checked the inner/outer tie rods yet on this vehicle, but when I replaced my other car's rack for sloppiness the lash was quite a bit out of adjustment, but the rack itself was fine. Out of everything (control arm bushings, rack bushings, new struts, inner/outer tie rods, ball joints), the rack lash adjustment tightened up the steering the most on my other 95, so I was hoping this would do the trick here.

The only time I had steering slop, it was due to one of the univesal joints between the steering column and the steering rack being slack. I tightened one bolt and the problem was fixed.

You might have a look there first since it's so easy to fix.

Watch out, there are two inline universal joints there, and in my case the problem was with the second one (closest to the steering rack). It's a little out of view if you just look casualy.

Good luck!

The only time I had steering slop, it was due to one of the univesal joints between the steering column and the steering rack being slack. I tightened one bolt and the problem was fixed.

You might have a look there first since it's so easy to fix.

Watch out, there are two inline universal joints there, and in my case the problem was with the second one (closest to the steering rack). It's a little out of view if you just look casualy.

Good luck!

Its definitely that adjustment nut. I had the same issue with my other 95, slop in the steering. Replaced the rack completely with one that had 30k miles on it. With the old rack clamped in my vice, you could move the input shaft some amount and the rack itself wouldn't move. Adjusting the lash nut fixed it. I'm seeing the same issue with this 1995 Subaru.

Anyone know the size of that large nut? I need to order a wrench to adjust it.

Check everything else first, as "adjusting" the lash usually makes far more issues then you are trying to cure. I've never heard of a sooby needing this done. Usually the universal joint is bad, or tie rod ends.

nipper

I'm not really understanding... why would turning that bolt in and removing the freeplay between the rack and the pinion gear cause problems? The worst that would happen would be i adjust it to far in and the steering has resistance.

I pried up with a prybar on the balljoints when the car was on my lift. no slop.

I know slop in the rack was an issue on my other 95, as I had the rack in the vice and I could turn the input shaft back and forth slightly and the rack did not move. I took a large crescent wrench (that won't fit up in the vehicle where the rack is) and backed off the jamnut, then adjusted the lash bolt inwards. I adjusted it in until i felt a slight resistance. After that adjustment the slop was gone. I could have saved myself a trip to the junkyard and $50 by just adjusting the lash instead of buying a "new" rack like I did.

I'm surprised no one else has looked into this. Its been an issue on every 1995 model I've owned (I have 3). Like I said in my OP, this one issue made the most difference out of all the things I did.

i don't know what size that nut is. i guess measure it or cut out something the same size. some of the better shops will have a set of calipers to let you go out and measure. i guess you don't have an old rack lying around to just take the nut/rack with you?

what issues are you having that make you look into the rack?

if you removed a rack, adjusted it, and reinstalled it - it could have just been the reinstallation that "fixed" it due to loose or old bushings. replacing the bushings OR retigthening everything may have sured it up.

loose rack feel or "delays" in steering are often bad bushings. the higher performance ones (Whiteline used to sell them) are nice and firm and inexpensive. i recommend them if you have to remove a rack anyway.

I'm surprised no one else has looked into this. Its been an issue on every 1995 model I've owned (I have 3). Like I said in my OP, this one issue made the most difference out of all the things I did.
i would have been surprised if more than one person actually replied with info. i've never heard of it being an issue, i've owned 30 or 40 Subaru's and worked on a few dozen or hundred others.

a quick internet search or on other Subaru forums turns up nothing. i'm guessing the play you're seeing is normal and your issue lies somewhere else.

32mm on 00-04. maybe the same and if you can get to it you can adjust it.

w/my 91 Legacy w/ over 200k the rack is still tight. BJ's & inner tierod were loose on it but only when the suspension was depressed & tight with the suspension extended on a lift. just a thought.

I had to adjust the backlash on an old 4runner that was really loose but took only ~ 1/2 turn to be too tight and not return to center w/o help.

hope this helps.