Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am guessing that the ATF level is full in the P/S reservoir. Front what I have read, Subie racks don't often break, so I assume it is prolly your P/S pump, if your steering wheel is hard to turn. If so, it is an easy swap to replace.

Several years back, I swapped in one on my 91 Subie. It was an easy job. Got one from a wrecking yard that worked just fine. Cost was about $35 from the yard.

I have 177,000 on this pump.New engine but same PSP. The steering has been getting progressively worse over the last week.Not sure if this applies, but the tension adjuster bolt on the alternator snapped a couple of weeks ago and with the loose belt I lost the power assist and had to drive some distance. No leaking that I can see.

Thanks

If there is no leaking at the Rack Boots, then the rack is fine. Thats how sooby racks go bad. Another general symptom for all racks is binding when the car is cold, then feels better as the car warms up.

It may be that your pump is tired. They are available in junkyards and are plentiful (ie cheap).

If the failure is non pulsing, then look at the pump. if it is pulsing/binding it may be the universal joint in the column under the hood.

nipper

I have 177,000 on this pump.New engine but same PSP. The steering has been getting progressively worse over the last week.Not sure if this applies, but the tension adjuster bolt on the alternator snapped a couple of weeks ago and with the loose belt I lost the power assist and had to drive some distance. No leaking that I can see.

Thanks

I think you answered your own ??????????????????

If there is no leaking at the Rack Boots, then the rack is fine. Thats how sooby racks go bad. Another general symptom for all racks is binding when the car is cold, then feels better as the car warms up.

It may be that your pump is tired. They are available in junkyards and are plentiful (ie cheap).

If the failure is non pulsing, then look at the pump. if it is pulsing/binding it may be the universal joint in the column under the hood.

nipper

Oh man...

I do believe I have torn rack boots. They got torn up a few months ago when I was driving through a flood.

After that, I've noticed more steering effort is needed, and that at low speeds (like parking, backing out, etc) the steering sounds odd. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything much, though.