Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I plan to buy a 2010 Subaru Outback. I live in a mountainous area and was planning to buy the base model. Has anyone had any problems climbing hills/mountains in the base model? Any need to turn off A/C when ascending? Obviously the others cost more so I would prefer the base model. I am not a car fanatic or anything. I just want something that does the job. Thoughts/experience and opinions please!

You'll be fine with this car, if you drive like a normal person. If you decide you need to routinely haul a car load of people and gear, tow a trailer, and/or go at warp speed, by a bigger, more powerful vehicle.

I know a few people whom routinely go skiing and take a car load of people with them nearly every time, they have no complaints about it, A/C on or not.

Good luck on your new purchase!

Suggest you test drive a new 10 Subie that you are interested in. Put your foot "in the gas" to see if the acceleration performance meets your needs. Chances are you will be pleasantly surprised what power Subaru offers in their standard engine. It will have some get up and go.

I don't forsee any issues with it, but seems like an odd questions for purchasing a new car. A test drive will let you know if it's sufficient for you.

Some of the late OBW's (09/10) have a shaking issue at highway speeds. Shouldn't be an issue if you're buying one now but might want to check those having the issue on subaruoutback.org - there's an entire lengthy thread devoted to the issue. And test drive one at highway speeds and definitely test drive the one you're going to purchase.

Test drive it to see -- but IMO, the newer subaru's are overpowered if anything (being used to 4 cylinder pickup trucks and 80's subarus.....). I drove my '82 subaru wagon with 70hp to the top of the highest paved road in colorado (around 14,000 feet) without any problems. The new ones are a bit more fun to rally on dirt roads because you can really accelerate, but even the old ones handled hills fine if just getting to the top was the goal.

Overpowered? I have never heard that and subaru used in the same sentence anywhere.

If the turbo was still available I would suggest that. Now with the new CVT and mutigear boxes with the 6 I would suggest a real testdrive (not just around the block). Don't be afraid to manually downshift. Dont be afraid to use D3 (if it is equipped) or sport mode and see if it fits your needs.

My pet peeve has always been dealers that only allow a 2-5 minute test drive when your going to spend 20-30K out of your wallet.

nipper

Hi,

I plan to buy a 2010 Subaru Outback. I live in a mountainous area and was planning to buy the base model. Has anyone had any problems climbing hills/mountains in the base model? Any need to turn off A/C when ascending? Obviously the others cost more so I would prefer the base model. I am not a car fanatic or anything. I just want something that does the job. Thoughts/experience and opinions please!

The problem is, when test driving the car at the dealers, is finding the "hills". They put the dealerships on flat ground! :lol: All joking aside, I live in the mountains and if "dragging" up the hills is a problem for you go with the 3.6R. It can get frustrating climbing the hills everyday with a line of cars behind you! :eek: Also think of a used 3.0R. They are fun to drive!

PS- I have been known to "sneek" the AC off in the summer climbing a hill! Owning Subies going back to 81 and having a 2004 2.5, I have lots of experiance!

Edited by bigjeep