Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 EA82T Ignition Troubles

Just had a great snow last night and on the way back to the house from driving around this morning my wagon cut off and wouldn't start back... After I got it back to the house, tried to start diagnoising it... Appears there is no spark/power from the coil and I have replaced the coil with 2 known good ones and still nothing, thus the problem appears to be before the coil...

After a little bit of researching I've decided I will try and replace the amplifier, little electronic piece that is attached to the bracket that holds the coil... Just want to make sure there isn't anything that I might be missing, all the fuses under the dash are good and the fusible links seem fine and well connected...

Like I said just want to make sure there isn't something else I am over looking or something that I might also want to grab when the local junkyards actually open back up after some of the snow clears..

-caleb

The amplifier thing comes to mind but I've never actually seen one randomly fail while driving. Usually due to some other electrical issue, sitting for a long time, etc.

My first thought is if the timing belt broke. Which is probably why the previous poster asked about the disty turning.

Still haven't been back to the house to check on things... Anyway, with the dizzy rotor or timing belt, even if there was a problem with one of those items wouldn't there still be spark coming from the coil? Since I have nothing coming from the coil I'm inclined to believe the timing belt is fine and so is the dizzy, thus making me believe something pre-coil is wrong, ie the amp