Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I thought for sure my hard steering problem in my 97 OB was due to a bad PS pump. Wrong again. Does that mean the rack needs replaced? I see no signs of leaking.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Did you replace the PS pump, and got no improvement with the hard steering? Have you had the car up on a rack to examine suspension, half shafts, steering rack for any evidence of binding or damage?

Edited by Rooster2
added more info

I thought for sure my hard steering problem in my 97 OB was due to a bad PS pump. Wrong again. Does that mean the rack needs replaced? I see no signs of leaking.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

It can sometimes take a few days even of driving to get all the air bled out of the system.

I would put the front end on blocks, and run the motor, while turning hte wheel lock to lock repeatedly until no more squealling is heard.

I've never seen a subaru rack fail other than leaking.......Gotta be the pump.

They don't have a high failure rate, but within the past 4 weeks I replaced 3 of them. So they do go, just not too often. There is nothing wrong with a good used rack though, that's what I would do to. If you replaced the pump and you still have rough spots in the steering, then I'd almost say for sure that it's your rack. The universals on the newer models don't go that often, I've never replaced one, just the older Legacy's.

The steering coupler can definiately be a culprit for this. If the U-joints are siezed, the steering effort will be much greater no matter how well the power steering is working. My mom's 98 outback wouldn't return to center after a turn. The steering felt smooth, just woudn't return on it's own.

I replaced the coupler ($70) because the U-joints had stiffend up. Steering has been fine since then.

sounds just like the symptoms my '95 went through over the last 2 years. replaced the pump, no effect. replaced the rack, no effect. removed the rear driveshaft, and the hard steering disappeared completely. viscous center diff was the culprit.

steering became difficult at any position, and the wheel wouldn't return to center while moving. in fact, it wouldn't straighten at all unless forced.

i know that sounds unlikely, but i've been there, done that.

sounds just like the symptoms my '95 went through over the last 2 years. replaced the pump, no effect. replaced the rack, no effect. removed the rear driveshaft, and the hard steering disappeared completely. viscous center diff was the culprit.

steering became difficult at any position, and the wheel wouldn't return to center while moving. in fact, it wouldn't straighten at all unless forced.

i know that sounds unlikely, but i've been there, done that.

ya know, i keep forgetting that unless the complain the car lurches.

Go to a parking lot after if a auto and make some tight u turns how does it feel. Put in the FWD fuse and see if it gets better.

If its a manual do the same thing after about 5-10 miles.