Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine dying like clockwork

85 Gl 1.6L. This happens exactly the same everytime.

In the morning on a cold start I pump the gas once to engage the choke right before starting. starts fine and idols fine. then while driving when the temp hits normal and stops rising, the engine dies and will not start for 5 minutes or so. then starts perfect and is fine for the rest of the day. maybe choke sticking? thanks a bunch, sorry for the weird question. any insight or hypotheses would be much appreciated.

sorry guys, not paying attention. thanks for the reply's. Its a 85 brat with EA81 1.8 L.

and now my problems just got a whole lot worse. after getting up to full speed it losses power and hesitates to the point of dying. if you just give it a bunch of gas, in or out a gear, it will sputter and die. it is now undrivable. its got a new fuel filter the fuel pump is working fine. i'm wondering if it could be an issue with the distributor. the points look fine but i don't know how to check the vacuum- if the little diaphram in there is working. I feel like i've checked everything else.

any ideas? thanks alot.

sorry guys, not paying attention. thanks for the reply's. Its a 85 brat with EA81 1.8 L.

and now my problems just got a whole lot worse. after getting up to full speed it losses power and hesitates to the point of dying. if you just give it a bunch of gas, in or out a gear, it will sputter and die. it is now undrivable. its got a new fuel filter the fuel pump is working fine. i'm wondering if it could be an issue with the distributor. the points look fine but i don't know how to check the vacuum- if the little diaphram in there is working. I feel like i've checked everything else.

any ideas? thanks alot.

Could be ignition,but,it is probably fuel.

Change the second filter as suggested.

If it is still bad,shut the engine off quickly while it is behaving badly and try to get a look at the fuel level in the carby sight glass.A mirror may be required.

I think you will find the fuel level to be too low.

No points in an 85.

Test the vacuum advance w/a clean rubber line and your mouth.

Should hold vacuum and move the "point plate" inside the disty.

It *could* have points if someone really had wanted them and swapped them in from an earlier EA71 - the distributor will swap over with only minor modifications (it's common to go the other way - EA81 disty into EA71)...... as unlikely as that sounds - I've seen stranger things on vehicles when they are in the hands of some "old timer" that doesn't understand or wish to learn about the electronic ignition module. :rolleyes:

GD