Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hypothetically, any compatibility issues using the engine out of a 1994 Legacy Sedan? It's from an AT car, which I would leave behind in favor of my current 5sp.

Old computer or new?

Thanks in advance.

You don't need a new engine.

The mechanic used the wrong marks for timing.

Get a new mechnic. Or print out the instructions posted here and take them and show him which marks to use.

NOT THE ARROWS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by the mechanic today and he was using the marks, not the arrows, to line up the timing belt. It's legit. It never did put off any engine codes either.

Just pulled an EJ22 off a 1994 legacy sedan. Gonna put that in so I have wheels for a while. Meanwhile I'm going to do a proper rebuild on my original motor.

This could shape up into an interesting project. If you guys have recommendations on performance upgrades, up to turbo, I wouldn't mind hearing about that.

I stopped by the mechanic today and he was using the marks, not the arrows, to line up the timing belt. It's legit. It never did put off any engine codes either.

[...]Meanwhile I'm going to do a proper rebuild on my original motor.

If the engine in question is actually a '96 2.2L (which should be non-interference), it will be very interesting to hear what you find when you tear it down for the rebuild. Please do let us know. By the way, what's the production date of the car?

EDIT: Would you mind posting the car's VIN (or at least the first 11 characters)?

Edited by OB99W

Update:

Got my car back yesterday. My mechanic pulled my original heads and sent them to an engine builder. They said 30 of 32 valves were bent. Replaced those with valves off the EJ22 from ecology auto wrecking. New top end.

New radiator.

So now my brakes are locking up and it's throwing CEL codes. Replaced the passenger rear caliper that froze, now a front caliper is doing pretty much the same thing. Also, I bled the brakes. Still got a caliper to lock up on me this morning.

One of the CEL's is for the pre-cat O2 sensor, p0135 i think. I'll post more info tomorrow when I'm home tinkering on my car.

Other than the brakes, my car is running beautifully.

Can the o2 sensor be cleaned, or does it need replacing?

Anyhow, I'm closer to having my baby back in fine running form. Thanks for the input, fellas. Keep it coming.

Upstream O2 sensor should be replaced with OE, they are not cleanable since the oxydizer tends to ear off with time. It is a wear part.

The brake calipers. Are you sure the calipers are truly (cant save them no matter what) seized, or is it just a matter of taking them apart and cleaning the slider pins.

nipper

A couple of posts above me I think that I read that 30 of 32 valves were bent. Arithmetic was never my strong point but since most Soobs are 4 bangers that means he has 8 valves per cyl.?

That sounds like the gal last week who was told she needed a new engine AND a new cylinder!

A couple of posts above me I think that I read that 30 of 32 valves were bent. Arithmetic was never my strong point but since most Soobs are 4 bangers that means he has 8 valves per cyl.?[...]
Either 8 valves per cylinder, or the engine's one of those rare Subaru 4.4L eights. ;)

He never told us what the SN on that car or build month........... but from what I understand......... but I dont know for sure

feb 96 is the last non interference motor............. march 96 till 97 guessing game mystery motor....... New cars come out in october so if the car has a build date of 10/96 its a 1997

But in march 97 has a different T-belt kit.... I dont know whats different

Edited by bobaru

Yeah, that's a lot of valves. I'm seriously sleep deprived. All but 2 valves were reported to be bent. I didn't get hosed on the head job and my car is running well now, so I take their word now. At least it's done.

VIN is 4s3bg4853t6370419

When I pulled the brake line off the caliper, something that looked like a mixture of rusty water and egg drop soup poured out ad the piston wouldn't budge. So I went ahead with bleeding the brakes and installing the new caliper.

Gonna take the dog for a hike then pull engine codes again.

[...]VIN is 4s3bg4853t6370419[...]

4S3 - World Manufacturer Identifier = USA, Subaru of Indiana, Passenger Vehicle

B - Line = Legacy/Baja

G - Body Style = Wagon

4 - Engine Type = 2.2L (for 1996-2000)

8 - Model = Outback/SUS

5 - Restraint = Manual Seat Belts, Driver & passenger Air Bags

3 - Check Digit (for verifying legitimacy of VIN)

T - Model Year = 1996

6 - Assembly Plant & Transmission = Subaru Indiana, Full Time AWD 5MT

370419 - Sequence of Production

I don't have info on determining the production date from those last six digits of the VIN,

but that can be gotten from the label at the driver's door.

I don't have info on determining the production date from those last six digits of the VIN,

but that can be gotten from the label at the driver's door.

if it is not on the door post between the driver and rear doors, it could be on the bottom of the driver door. they moved the location at some point between 95 (door post) and 97 (door bottom).

I also picked up a cup holder, A/C controls, and E-brake handle from a 96 legacy wagon A/T at ecology auto wrecking. Finally have fully functioning climate control and firm cupholders.

The e-brake handle, however, does not latch very easily. I think the spring that pushes the release button out, as well as ratchet to the teeth, is gunked up. It works after some jiggling. I couldn't figure out how to crack it open to clean it. Still, better than the old one with the broken button.

How did it run before the belt was messed with? Did you schedule the maintence or run it to death? How many miles are on the engine? Where do you snowboard?:rolleyes:

It ran OK before. I hadn't put a lot of maintenance into it the last 2 years due to finances and school. Mostly just oil changes and new brakes. It burned a little oil and you could hear the lifters ticking almost all the time. And I've put 40k mile on it in less than 2 years.

Mostly ride at Snow Summit and Bear Mtn. Once a year I go to Utah for pow sessions at Snowbasin and Powder Mtn. Also a big fan of Brighton.

mfg date of 07/95 from the bottom of the B-pillar.

Throwing codes p0135 and p0441.

I don't believe in coincidence. Is it coincidence that I never had a CEL until after this recent work?

june 1995 that makes your car a 95 not a 96 but SN says 96

mfg date of 07/95 from the bottom of the B-pillar.

Throwing codes p0135 and p0441.

I don't believe in coincidence. Is it coincidence that I never had a CEL until after this recent work?

june 1995 that makes your car a 95 not a 96 but SN says 96:rolleyes:

june 1995 that makes your car a 95 not a 96 but SN says 96:rolleyes:

July. Model year 96. Just a few months ago you were able to purchase a 2010 model year car, even though it was manufactured in 2009. New cars are typically released late summer the year before model year. Same was true in 1995 and 1996.

July. Model year 96. Just a few months ago you were able to purchase a 2010 model year car, even though it was manufactured in 2009. New cars are typically released late summer the year before model year. Same was true in 1995 and 1996.

some where around the middle of the calendar year subaru switches ove and starts manufacturing the next model year. one example of this is the 95 auto trans, one model until 6/95 and another after 6/95.

i don't know if they used the same date every year. but the bean counters know how many cars they are going to make and they know they are going to need so many 95 parts, engines and trans. and they know they are going to start using 96 parts at some point. so they should be able to predict the exact date in advance..

[...]Throwing codes p0135 and p0441.[...]

You mentioned:

P0135 (Front Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction)

and

P0441 (Evap System Incorrect Purge Flow)

Before I get into possible causes, could you verify that second code?

Because this one could indicate an electrical problem in common with P0135:

P0141 (Rear Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction)