Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You mentioned:

P0135 (Front Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction)

and

P0441 (Evap System Incorrect Purge Flow)

Before I get into possible causes, could you verify that second code?

Because this one could indicate an electrical problem in common with P0135:

P0141 (Rear Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction)

p0441. wrote them down before clearing them, and they came back.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

p0441. wrote them down before clearing them, and they came back.

Okay. For the P0135, heaters can fail in O2 sensors, but since the heater draws a lot of current, even a slightly poor contact can lead to a code. So, check connectors in that circuit.

As to the P0441, the problem could be in the gas tank area, but if the code wasn't there before the engine work, start by checking hoses at the front, making sure things are connected as shown on the diagram stuck to the underside of the hood. Especially look at hoses related to the parts mounted on the passenger side strut tower. Trace the hose connection to the intake, and verify nothing was left disconnected.

make sure your mech didnt end up using the purge solenoid from the 94 engine, they could be different. I would agree that if these things just came up after this work was done then something isnt hooked up correctly.

Shouldn't be a problem. I think the only parts he used from the '94 EJ22 were the valves.

He's gonna look at the codes on Weds. Gratis.

So my rear brake is still locking up sometimes. Any ideas how to fix that? I've bled the hell out of it. Maybe a bad valve in the ABS. I'm at my wits end and money is very tight.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

This is turning into a long post, so want to start a fresh one for the brakes?

nipper

So the squeal was from the accessory belt, The bolt on the alternator stripped out and I was getting no tension. Fixed that.

Back to the heads:

I'm thinking that the heads on my car are not original. Firstly, the valves bent when the belt broke. Also, there are three bolt holes on the exhaust manifold and only 2 holes in the heads. The wrong manifold gasket has led to a leak, which is probably causing my o2 sensor code.

Any ideas on an easy fix? I'm about to go all Thelma & Louise with this car.

The difference between a 2 bolt and 3 bolt exhaust manifold is single port (2 bolts) vs dual port (3 bolts) I wasn't aware that a dual port manifold would bolt up to a single port head. :confused:

This could mean that the heads were swapped, or that the entire engine was swapped for one out of a newer model.

The difference between a 2 bolt and 3 bolt exhaust manifold is single port (2 bolts) vs dual port (3 bolts) I wasn't aware that a dual port manifold would bolt up to a single port head. :confused:

This could mean that the heads were swapped, or that the entire engine was swapped for one out of a newer model.

Thanks for the reply. Could you be more specific about which year and/or motor might use the elusive 2-bolt gasket? I need to find one before I have to get my car smogged.

From what I understand everything EJ22 before 96 used the dual port heads. Some 96 had single port. After that Single cam motors were single port until 99 when the phase 2 EJ22 was introduced. After that I'm pretty sure they were dual port again.

You'll have to swap the front pipes to single port pipes to match the heads for a proper seal. Shouldn't be too hard to find in a U pull it. If not it'll be about a $250 dealer part probably.

Thanks for the reply. Could you be more specific about which year and/or motor might use the elusive 2-bolt gasket? I need to find one before I have to get my car smogged.

IIRC

90 - 95 ej22 is dual port

96 - 99 ej22 is single port

96 - 99 ej25 is dual port

your engine is probably a 97 or 98 swap, or at least a head swap.