Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R pops out of 1st

Well the title just about sums it up. i have a 88DL with a swapped in D/R, it pops out of first gear on decel only. The trans has no abnormal noises and other than this issue works great. All the mounts are intact and in good condition. Am I looking at tear down and replacing the blocker rings or are these only serviced as a complete synchro assembly.

I was not able to find the thread on trans tear down with the search feature even though I thought I've seen on on here, help with that link would be great as well as any insight into what I'm in for.

thanks

JWS

Basically there are little pins that are spring loaded and they hold the shift rods from moving easily in and out of gear. The pins are either small ball bearings or sometimes when they operate on multiple rods they are oval shaped - the round end fits into a notch in the shift rod and spring pressure keeps the rod from moving around. Something is missing or broken - the pin has fallen out or the spring has failed.

It will require a tear-down to fix it but it's probably not a major overhaul unless that's what you want - replace the offending pin/spring etc and it will likely work fine again. You will want to investigate *why* it failed - if the spring broke that's one thing, but if the pin has gone missing then you'll want to check on the clearances with the rod to see how it could have come loose. Something might be worn or need adjustment.

GD

subarus natuarally do not like to go into first gear while rolling. you are better to stop all the way (or lock up the brakes during aggressive driving) before engaging first. Driving like you describe will develop into grinding when trying to di first gear from a roll. This is my experience with all the subarus i have owned, avg 135,000 mi

Thanks for the info.

This is happening when it is already in 1st (ie: moving along in very slow traffic) not down shifting into 1st at speed. It will be happy for a few minutes then out it comes. Where can I find the adjustmens and the specs for them? Any links to pics of these pins would be great.

Thanks JWS

Thanks for the info.

This is happening when it is already in 1st (ie: moving along in very slow traffic) not down shifting into 1st at speed. It will be happy for a few minutes then out it comes. Where can I find the adjustmens and the specs for them? Any links to pics of these pins would be great.

Thanks JWS

Mine does it on rare occasions as well but only when i let off the gas in first and only once in a blue moon. It doesnt happen often enough for me to worry about though and half of me thinks when it does happen maybe i just didnt push it far enough into first :rolleyes: Either way i usually crawl along in 2nd in traffic so thats not an issue.