Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need digi fuel tank sender help

I could not find specifics in search mode. I picked up an 88 gl10 that has sat for 7 years. I cleaned out the tank - fuel pump , and resistor. It runs good now. But... I checked the sender with a meter and it seemed to work - ohms changed with movement. However after putting gas in car it still reads empty with low fuel light. Another problem or just bad sender? does anyone know a supplier for these? can I use one off a different car? I know this could go under more than one post section - just need ideas or options. Thanks!

Probably bad wire.How is the ground? Got power on the sender wire?

You should have moved the float to the extremes and watched the gauge while you had it out.

You can subsitute a variable resistor for the sender to test the gauge.

I use a 10 turn potentiometer.1K ohms IIRC.

Subaru will have some new ones,but,yours sounds OK.

I agree - it's probably the wire to the sending unit. I had an EA82 that sat for a number of years and had the same problem. I ended up just running a new wire up to one of the body connectors on the passenger side kick panel. Trying to find the bad location in the wireing harness was too much work for what the car was worth (beater '86 GL with 250k on it). A new wire fixed the problem though and it never returned as long as I owned it.

GD