Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2004 Outback - Speedo Died

I have a 2004 Outback (85,000 KMs) with 5sp. My speedo starting going wonky on the way home (bouncing about) and then died. No indication of any problem prior to this

I do have a full coverage plan so I'll be going back to the dealer. In the meantime, I'm just wondering what might've happened. I like having some clue about things before I head out to see the garage.

Cheers and thanks,

Sean

just a hunch, but check your gear oil. the speedo is an electonic unit instead of a cable, and the unit can still be good, but failing at the gear in the transmission.

if your car is an automatic, there is a smaller dipstick on the top of the trans that contains gear oil for the front diff.

Just checked my tranny and the level was just below the low mark. I topped it up and took the car for a drive. Hit the highway and after a few minutes the speed dropped to 0, waited, bounced back to 100, dropped to 0, waited and bounced back 100. etc etc. THEN the "wait" period became shorter and shorter until the bouncing stopped altogether. Drove for another while on the highway and the speedometer read properly. Dropped down to lower speed, no problem, came back up to highway speed, no problem.

I'm going to give the level another look before I head back home on the highway after work. Do you think I may have found the problem? Or is it just a co-inkydink that topping up the oil appears to make the problem go away?

We shall see but I'll cancel my appointment for now. I always manage to bring vehicles in with problems only to not have them show up for the mechanics. Go figure!!!

Sean

I can say with 100% certainty this is not oil level related at all. Focusing on fluids will be a waste of time for you from here on out.

Speedo head or VSS. My bet is the speedo head based on your description.

The frequency, timing, intermittent nature of it doesn't matter at this point. That's common for components to fail this way rather than complete black/white working or not.

Checking the tranny oil certainly wasn't a waste of time for me - seeing it was low!!! :eek:

I'm guessing a bad VSS would blow a code - would it not?

I'll drive it for another while to see if the speedo problem comes back. If/when it does, I'll pack it off to the dealer

in the 90s the speedo take off in manual trans is different than the front diff take off in auto trans. i ASSUME that it is all mechanically driven, no fluid power unless there is a provision for "lack of lube" which then let it cut itself off. but i can't imagine that being the case.

some one posted a pretty good pic last year.

found pic:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=883922&postcount=14

whole thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106822&highlight=speedo*

Edited by johnceggleston

Checking the tranny oil certainly wasn't a waste of time for me - seeing it was low!!! :eek:
I said it would be a waste of time to continue looking into a fluid based cause of your current issue, not waste of time to check.

That being said gear oil is not going to cause this problem. But, if it really was low - then your problem isn't that the fluid is low or the speedo - but that you have a leak somewhere. Gear oil doesn't disappear or burn in a trans - it leaks.

I'm guessing a bad VSS would blow a code - would it not?
No, not always. Say 95% of the time you'll get a code (realizing that's a made up number, but you get the point).

I'll drive it for another while to see if the speedo problem comes back.
Yep, it will.

Keep this in mind next time you see it: You can probably verify the speedo head if you have a trip meter elsewhere on the car? If the speedo head is bad all other trip mechanisms will work fine (odometer or a trip calculator like my car has). If the speed sender/sensor is bad then any mileage related (speedo or odometer) will be cracked up. For instance it will show 100mph but the odometer won't increment that fast, it will read accurately.

There are no visible leaks but the dealer did tear the tranny apart a while back - I wonder if they never fully topped it up when they finished the job???

It'll be interesting to see if there is any change in the shifting now that the oil is at the right level??

I'll keep a close eye to odo and speedo now to see if they jive with one another.

In the meantime, I've got lots of warranty left so there's no big rush to bring it in!!

Cheers and thanks,

Sean

• 6 months later...